New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    --got this from howstuffworks..it's short..but worth the read..for newbies like me.

The blood in your body. Water in the desert. And oil in an engine. They're all vital. Without them, someone or something is going to die!To keep your engine in top condition, you should change your oil regularly.

Oil is an essential lubricant in your engine. It lets metal press against metal without damage. For example, it lubricates the pistons as they move up and down in the cylinders. Without oil, the metal-on-metal friction creates so much heat that eventually the surfaces weld themselves together and the engine seizes. Which is not good if you're trying to get somewhere. On the other hand, if you want someone else not to get somewhere, then draining the oil out of his or her engine is an effective roadblock!

Let's say that your engine has plenty of oil, but you never change it. Two things will definitely happen:

Dirt will accumulate in the oil. The filter will remove the dirt for a while, but eventually the filter will clog and the dirty oil will automatically bypass the filter through a relief valve. Dirty oil is thick and abrasive, so it causes more wear.
    Additives in the oil like detergents, dispersants, rust-fighters and friction reducers will wear out, so the oil won't lubricate as well as it should.
    Eventually, as the oil gets dirtier and dirtier, it will stop lubricating and the engine will quickly wear and fail. Don't worry, this isn't going to happen if you forget to change your oil one month and it goes over the recommended change interval by 500 miles. You would have to run the same oil through the engine for a long time -- many thousands of miles -- before it caused catastrophic failure.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    the basics of automotive technology...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehehe. although i would not recommend it, i know someone who has change oils only when required. normally, within eight to 12 months in between changes.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    what will happen if dagdag ng dagdag ka nalan ng oil ..?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^ dagdag dagdag din problema :bwahaha:

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    ^^ dagdag dagdag din problema :bwahaha:

:bwahaha:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hehehe...kulet! pag di ka mag change ng oil makaka save ka ng few bucks...hehehehe. after nun yun few bucks na ma save mo gagastusin mo sa pa-overhaul ng makina mo.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    What's gonna happen if the car is already due for an overhaul (as bad as the car overheats when driven for a few kms and muffler emits smoke like a fumigator) but the owner still keeps on using tha car? Same thing happened to my friend kasi. She didn't know that the oil needs to be changed pala. hehe.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    AFAIK, the worst thing that can happen is the pistons gets deformed because of the heat... thus making it harder to move up and down until it cant move anymore.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it doesn't necessarily mean that if your car overheat it needs an overhaul. where does your friend live, in Batanes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What if I never changed the oil in my car?