New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have several items lying around in the garage that is not worth of anything else besides scrap. Any idea how much junk shops buy old suspension parts, old engine parts (cast iron blocks, aluminum cylinder heads, crankshafts, pistons, plus other bits and pieces etc)??? I want to clear off everything lying in the garage. All are already scrap and not worthy of refurb, remachine, repair.

Can you suggest other uses of old engine blocks not worthy of running anymore - straight 4? If it were a v12, I'd make this:

but its not... though I have 2 straight 4's that I can make a table off - one at each end

2. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    interesting dilemma.. small parts such as pistons, transmission gears etc can be used as paper weights on your table. attached photo, i've been intending to use as an ashtray if only smoking is allowed at the office . they can be painted on or scraped clean to bring the original aluminum or steel finish provided they're not rusted bad. if you have an entire engine scrapped, you can mount it less the oil pan and head to have a working model of how an Internal Combustion Engine works. (that is, if you're artistically and mechanically inclined for such an endeavor). otherwise, sell the irons or aluminum parts to the junkshop for less clutter. ( last time i knew, steel goes for 20/kilo, aluminum 50/kilo. not sure though)
    http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/...a/DSCN7817.jpg

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You think you could inventory them? From what make/model/year of car? Usually, some people who restores cars are looking for some hard to find parts.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    whoa! i still consider those as "gold"....who knows a creative mind in you might give them a second lease on life later or you could really put them to good use if ever the need arises.....i have this inherent characteristic of storing "junk" at my place. but that's just me.

OR........

you could donate them to me.

What can I do with old parts lying around the garage?