New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    With today's engines having a lot of electronic stuff, is it safe for you to wash your engine bay? Will something get shorted if you do this. I noticed that modern engines have lots of those cable harnesses and connectors going to different places.

If wet washing is ok, is it recommended to spray it with detergent mixed with water or gaas? I see some people doing this. Would this prematurely make the rubber stuff brittle?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm imho, if the one who will wash you engine knows what he is doing, then it is perfectly safe...

pero ako, i really don't have my engine washed by those guys na nasa ordinary carwashes, o maski na sa mga gasoline stations... one error during the wash process and pffffffft......

imho again, the engine does not really need regular washing... what i just do it to brush it (using a paintbrush) every weekend, and wipe some parts, which are not cleaned by the brush... ayus na sya...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In general, yup pwede. but of course you have to take extra care with the electrical and electronic components.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    fenderbender

kayang-kaya mo yan, isang maghapon lang yan oks na ulit yan, masakit nga lang sa likod

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    ang alam ko dapat takpan ng plastic yung alternator para hindi agad masira..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think car manufacturers are not stupid enough to leave those electronics parts unprotected. some water can still be splashed into the engine bay when raining and traversing flooded streets so they have to have some kind of protection for the electronics against these water splahes. i've been having my engine bay washed since my first car and i haven't experienced any malfunctions as a result of washing.
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    unless you want it detailed to your suking detailing shops like bigberts.. hehehe... ( may kasama pang ad ) hihihi

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    your best bet is to have it detailed. then, just maintain it weekly na lang by brushing and wiping.

what's your car? for engines that do not have many electrical sensors, okay lang ang engine wash.

i know for sure that euro cars with multiple sensors are sensitive to car-washing. a waterless engine detailing is suggested.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by fenderbender
    If wet washing is ok, is it recommended to spray it with detergent mixed with water or gaas? I see some people doing this. Would this prematurely make the rubber stuff brittle?
    Detergent is very harsh to plastic and rubber compounds, get a pro na lang like Big Berts!

Make sure the owner loves cars din, that helps.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the danger of having your engine washed by those carwash boys is that they tend to use too much pressure!

as what the've said, regular cleaning with a brush & cloth will do. if you really want to use water just be careful with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Washing of Engine Bay - Safe?