New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Mga Sirs,

My Honda Odyssey 95 needs 5mins idling on a cold engine to stabilize. If I shift it to drive (without foot on the gas) for less than 5mins of idling, engine dies.

Any ideas?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    When was the last time you changed ATF? Baka dirty na and needs replacing... If you're near Banawe, QC, meron ATF dialysis machine sa area you can avail or pwede din DIY iyan kung meron drain plug ang oil pan. Drain and fill ang tawag, kung ilan liters ang drain, iyon din ang refill mo, you will do that for three consecutive weeks, each week driving your car for maybe a hundred kms or more... done it myself!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    2 years ago. Had it check 2 weeks ago and malinis pa.

I think i'll try the DIY. Thanks bro.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    You can't tell kung malinis pa ang ATF just by looking at the dipstick. Wait till you drain from the pan, compare mo sa new ATF pati ang amoy

5. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    ah ok. sige, will do that. thanks again.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-luc View Post
    ah ok. sige, will do that. thanks again.
    It is more likely that you're unstable idle are caused by the following:

1. vacuum leaks
    2. fuel delivery issues

For #1, its all intake related.
    1. Start from the airbox to MAF, to throttle body.
    2. Then look for all small rubber hose connections to and from the intake. Replace.
    3. Check for air leaks on oil filler cap, dipstick, etc.

The best way to do this is to do a smoke test. Run a line a la smoke machine at around 2-3 psi into intake, and see where the leaks are coming from. Some people use carb cleaner and spray the portions of intake while in idle. When you have a leak, you will notice that your idle will suddenly surge. Then, you can identify the leak. Problem with this method is that it does not identify small leaks, which is likely what you have. Small leaks manifest only when the engine is cold, because when its hot, rubber expands, and sometimes it closes the leak. Maybe that's why it takes your car 5 min before it stabilizes.

For #2:
    1. Check/ replace fuel filter.
    2. Check fuel lines.
    3. Check fuel pressure at the fuel pump and the fuel rail.

There could be other causes i.e. sticky throttle position sensors, or even an old oxygen sensor that might be needing replacement. Also check for sticky idle control valve, if you have. Best to diagnose via OBD scanner, if possible.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    It is more likely that you're unstable idle are caused by the following:

1. vacuum leaks
    2. fuel delivery issues

For #1, its all intake related.
    1. Start from the airbox to MAF, to throttle body.
    2. Then look for all small rubber hose connections to and from the intake. Replace.
    3. Check for air leaks on oil filler cap, dipstick, etc.

The best way to do this is to do a smoke test. Run a line a la smoke machine at around 2-3 psi into intake, and see where the leaks are coming from. Some people use carb cleaner and spray the portions of intake while in idle. When you have a leak, you will notice that your idle will suddenly surge. Then, you can identify the leak. Problem with this method is that it does not identify small leaks, which is likely what you have. Small leaks manifest only when the engine is cold, because when its hot, rubber expands, and sometimes it closes the leak. Maybe that's why it takes your car 5 min before it stabilizes.

For #2:
    1. Check/ replace fuel filter.
    2. Check fuel lines.
    3. Check fuel pressure at the fuel pump and the fuel rail.

There could be other causes i.e. sticky throttle position sensors, or even an old oxygen sensor that might be needing replacement. Also check for sticky idle control valve, if you have. Best to diagnose via OBD scanner, if possible.

Thanks Bro!