New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Brought my old car (singkit 4g15 efi) to a shop. It is releasing white smoke upon cold starts, diminishes when engine is warm, billows smoke when engine is revved up or when AC on. The oil on the pan diminishes when checked but no sign of leaks. Smoke smells of burnt oil and brownish burnt cooking oil like deposit on the tailpipe is present. But gas consumption is still ok at 11-13 km/li considering the car is 18 yr old. No big problem really with performance but more concerned with the embarassment of the blanket of white smoke upon start-ups, or idle and the hassle of having the hassle of checking and topping oil every so often.
    A mechanic quickly suggested a top overhaul with the following quotation: labor 3800, seals 1250, head gasket 2500, machining 9500, valve guides 1500 totalling almost to a whopping P18,000!
    I was thinking more that it might require only a valve seal replacement.
    1. How will I know if only valve replacement is needed and not TOH? should i give in to this price?
    2. How much will valve replacement cost?
    TIA

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    You can have a second opinion by visiting Raymond Sarrol, I can say he is a very good mechanic and will give honest diagnosis. A lot of Lancer owners like me prefers his service. Read the Lancer Itlog thread here http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902

Raymond Sarrol - 0920 9252290, He has a small shop in San Juan near Aquinas College and Dominican College.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Ang mahal naman ng Quotation na binigay sa iyo. Patignan mo rin sa iba para sa second opinion at kung gusto mong makatipid ikaw na bumili ng piyesa at labor lang bayaran mo sa kanila . At kung may ipapa machine shop ikaw na rin ang magdala nito sa machine shop.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *harimon21,

you don't just replace the valve seal by it self

normally valve seals are replaced kapag pina-top overhaul ang makina. Kung papapalitan mo lang ng valve seal without going thru the whole process of top overhaul, you will still pay the amount of the top over haul kasi babaklasin nila cylinder head mo and its parts to get to the valve seals and no mechanic in his right mind will do that (replace valve seal only and no TOH) if you find one, then niloloko ka nun.

You only replace valves kung meron nang sira, bungi, or baluktot sa valves mo.

Kung gusto mo makamura, hanap ka ng "complete" cyclinder head lang para dyan sa makina mo, then buy it, but be sure that the one you will buy does not have a leak, how will you know? Bring a competent mechanic when you buy one. This is what I did when I f#cked up my cyclinder head.

Kung malapit ka sa San Juan or don't mind travelling to San Juan, follow Mile2's suggestion, contact Ray Sarol, I also know the guy, he's been the one taking care of my car for 9 years na.

HTH

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Go to Speedyfix. Do a compression test first to be sure, very minimal fee. If it;s confirmed that's it's just the valve seal, they have a special tool to replace the valve seals without top overhauling the engine. Althoug the labor cost will be the same as a top overhaul, you will spend less on parts and it is a minimal invasive procedure.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    is that an ordinary mechanic or caza? its to expensive!!! machine shop 9K plus!!!!! 3800 top overhaul then he would only replace the seal and the head gasket?

usually an engine that burns oil has an excessive wear on cylinder liner or a deep scratch on its liner due to worn or broken piston rings. replacing the head gasket and valve seal wont do. more over replacing the valve seal means that the valve guide and valve and valve seat ahould also be replace. 18K is to much for just a top ovehaul.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    A compression test is what you need first.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I have decided to do top overhaul. Have found another mechanic who even advised me to purchase the parts myself including the valve seals, piston rings and head gasket. I have also found a reputable machine shop who will do the refacing if there is needed. The mechanic charges 4000 for the labor. He advised me to go OEM for the valve seals, and replacement parts for rings and gasket. Can I buy OEM valve seals in Banawe or sa casa lang available? What is the estimated cost of this parts? Could you suggest a good brand?
    TIA

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    up ko lang po

valve seal replace or top overhaul?