New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Most of the time I only use my 2016 Fortuner in the city and only on few occasions I use it to go to province. Now since city driving is what I am used to, there were some occasions where going to the province ang cruising around 100kl/h, I forgot to turn off the engine only after 5 mins or so and instead turned it off immediately. Would this destroy my engine?

I would say that before I reach the destination and turn off the engine, I would slow down (but still running around 30-40kl/h) for about 20-15mins or so... would that be any consolation and consider the engine as having cooled off during that slow down?

I am a noob here...

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Most of the time I only use my 2016 Fortuner in the city and only on few occasions I use it to go to province. Now since city driving is what I am used to, there were some occasions where going to the province ang cruising around 100kl/h, I forgot to turn off the engine only after 5 mins or so and instead turned it off immediately. Would this destroy my engine?

I would say that before I reach the destination and turn off the engine, I would slow down (but still running around 30-40kl/h) for about 20-15mins or so... would that be any consolation and consider the engine as having cooled off during that slow down?

I am a noob here...
    After a long drive at high speeds, I always allow my TD engine also to 'cool down' by idling even for just one minute before shutting it down. That's SOP for us. But like you atty., I drive a bit slower when almost reaching my destination so that helps also.

I've been told that the worst practice is to be always at full throttle everywhere you go even for short distances and immediately shutting down the engine. That's a big no-no for me.

HTH.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

I am a noob here...
    That’ll do. Most of the time after a highway drive, we usually encounter slower traffic as we near our destination (ie. More intersections and traffic lights, finding a parking spot, etc.) The time spent there will be enough to cool it down.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    My friend loves to drive his fortuner on "sports/power" mode. Does it mean that the turbo is engaged in most cases?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    My friend loves to drive his fortuner on "sports/power" mode. Does it mean that the turbo is engaged in most cases?
    Peak torque is attained when the turbocharger starts spooling. For turbo diesels, it is within 1500 to 3600 rpm. Sports mode in most vehicles is a setting when the throttle is more responsive to attain higher rpms.

For turbo gas engines, peak torque is attained between 1500 to 5500 rpm. Euro gas turbo cars tend to spool its turbo earlier (1500 rpm) while most Japanese gas turbo cars have it past 2k rpm.

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    Most turbos are activated around the 2.5K to 3K RPM range so if he keeps it at that range of power then yes AFAIK

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Most turbos are activated around the 2.5K to 3K RPM range so if he keeps it at that range of power then yes AFAIK
    2500 rpm is a bit late in the rev range for a turbo diesel. That's more like a Japanese gas turbo engine.

Problem with turbo diesels is that after the initial rush of that peak torque at the low rev range (1500-2500), the engine's output flattens out when nearing 4k rpm.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    AFAIK...

Yung previous gen Fortuner (Toyota D4D), around 2,000rpm bago mag kick-in yung turbo..

So as long as the turbo is not activated, you'll be fine.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005

I am a noob here...
    install a turbo timer to eliminate worries.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    interesting topic, am a noob myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast