New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Good day, tsikot experts.. Me and my friends were going home after a beach outing but on our way home we raced through highways(katuwaan or hyper lang tlga kami kanina). This means I press hard on the accelerator multiple times on our way since my friends'(8 of them) house we're just on the way to drop them off.. I accelerated it like a sedan since my im racing with a lancer 96 1.3L. My everest is just two months old. I'm already regretfull that I participated in that childish/immature race on road.. I shouldn't have done that. Then we went on to a fastfood restaurant but i forgot to cooldown my everest's turbo, i just turned the engine off right after i parked it...

Is there a big possibility for turbo damages? What should i do? Will they check the turbo in my 3month pms?, If ever a crack was found will it be covered by my insurance?

Im so stupid to be provoked by my friend.. I don't know much about my ride's engine.. Also it's my first diesel-turbo engine. Sorry po for my newbie questions. Though we're still teenagers, we shouldn't have done that.. I learned my lesson..

I really need your advices po..

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hala ka! Sira na yan!

Seriously, once mo lang naman ginawa. Wag mo lang gawin all the time. Relax.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the cooling down of the turbo is done to protect the bearings of the turbo. if you turn off the engine then the coolant that cools the bearings stops circulating. apparently modern turbos don't require it due to better engine oil and bearings designed for the extreme heat.

personally, it wouldn't hurt to cool the engine down before you shut down the engine after a long run.

or you can try slowing down the car if you are already near your destination so that you can save time (and gas) cooling the turbo.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's only two months old, the oil is still fresh... the chances of damage aren't so great. Just remember to let it cool down, next time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    How much time do you need to cool it down at idle before turning off the engine?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    How much time do you need to cool it down at idle before turning off the engine?
    pag ako gumagawa,

city driving (moderate traffic) - 30 sec.
    city driving (light traffic) - 1 min.
    highway driving - 2 mins.

Turbo not cooled down after hard press on accelerator