New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ano po masasabi nyo sa 2t toyota engine? sa fuel consumption. thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Mayroon ng thread nito 2T and 13T kahapon . Toyota 2T carburator type single overhead cam malakas makina medyo malakas rin sa gasolina . Iyong 2TG na makina noon old school engine DOHC madalas gamitin na makina sa drag racing.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    2T is an OHV/pushrod engine not OHC. Nasa tono yan ng carburetor kung malakas sa gasolina. Sa corolla ng pinsan ko ganyan nakakabit, medyo malakas sa gas kasi may tama na yung carb nya.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Sir:

Toyota's 2T and 2T-G engines were a family of 4-cylinder, in-line, 1600 cc, over-square (bore larger than stroke) engines available as standard (as the 2T) and semi-race (as the 2T-G) form.

They featured deeply hemispherical combustion chambers with very large valves - inclined to near 90 degrees of included angle, near to centrally-located spark plugs and domed pistons with large valve reliefs cut into them.

They had relatively high compression ratios for their time (8.5 to 9 : 1) and 5 main-bearing engine blocks, the standard forged crankshafts had 4 counterweights on them and the racing ones 8.

The 2T had a single downdraft carburetor and actuated it's valves via a camshaft mounted high in the block driving the valves through a set of very short and inclined push rods - a unique solution reflecting the designer's inexperience with overhead camshaft designs.

The later 2T-G design was a dual overhead camshaft design, but with only 8 valves - 4 intake and 4 exhaust in an aluminum cylinder head, (called the Yamaha head).

This reflected Toyota Racing Developments' dependence on the Yamaha motorcycle division for racing technology at the time.

It had a pair of twin side draft carburetors, (usually Mikuni Solex).

Neither of these engines was really designed for fuel economy of good drive ability, they were intended for use in Toyota's sport and racing cars of the era.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the replies sirs. so for short medyo malakas sa gas ang mga 2t engine? kung icocompare nyo sya sa mga latest cars fuel consumption, anong type of car siya maicocompare? fuel consumption. thanks

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Sir:

There can be no reasonable comparison between 1960's era 2T's and the modern computer-controlled engines of this era.

Suffice to say the 2T's were not even economical for their era, but in their defence I would say that they were NEVER intended to be so, they were performance engines.

Toyota's economical engines of the same period were the 3K series, and that old design, albeit highly modified, is still around with us today - 4K, 5K engines.

The difference between the old 3K and the newer 4K and 5K is the STROKE, these engines made the transition from over-square designs to under-square designs, where the stroke became larger than the bore.

The reason they did this was that it has been discovered, by hard experience that long-stoke (under square) engines are more efficient than short-stroke (over square) engines.

If you add better mechanicals of the modern engines to electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition, (total engine management) then all modern engines are much more economical than their old counterparts.

The only real drawback of the modern engines and vehicles is COST - spare parts are more expensive, and they are harder to maintain and tune unless you have the proper training and equipment.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    galing sir. napaka wide ng knowledge mo about machines. thanks sa replies. if i have any other question, can i pm you? thanks

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear eurostyle:

Sorry for the late reply, Tsikot forums seem to have been down lately.

If you have problems, then post them on-line so that we can share as much information and experience as possible, that's the point.

As to PM'ing me there's no problem glad to help - I will help whenever possible if I can.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

P.S. If you have an older model diesel vehicle, I make a very effective diesel fuel additive - PM me for details.

Toyota 2T engine