New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir ungas posted this in a diffnt thread.

wulf::: Maraming pwdeng gawin sa kahit anong parts to add more power. (Price range estimated in thousands)

1. You could add turbo to your engine, modify the existing turbo if you have one already. (70-90K)
    2. Cylinder head manipulations. (10-50K)
    3. Flywheel skimming. (5-8K)
    4. Intake and Exhaust performance parts (1K-30K)
    5. Regearing (50-70K)

i askd him if he could indicate percentage in improvement of power per item. medyo off-topic in that thread so im posting this so he can reply and enlighten us all...sir ungas, here it is na po

Edit: I hope you won't mind I edited the title a bit. ;)
    Last edited by Ungas; July 24th, 2003 at 08:07 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as they say, there's no replacement for displacement. So, the biggest hp & torque gains will be to do an engine swap with a higher displacement engine.

second or equal to engine swap in terms of impact in hp/torque will be forced induction either by installing a turbo intercooler or a supercharger. assuming you have the appropriate gear and installation is good, you can realize 25-50 hp gain. some even claim 50-75 hp gain.

other mods will just be supplementary in terms of hp/torque gains. i.e., cylinder head works, increased forced induction boost, air intake/exhaust optimization works, installing lighter flywheel, regearing, etc... but all of these will at most give you 10-25 hp gains.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    1. Adding turbos on diesel engines will have positve effect on torque output and a little help on horsepower rating. Some manufaturers claim 20% additional output while others have claimed to achieve 40% more torque.

2. Cylinder head manipulations from the basic port and polish finish, multi-angle valve seats to the more expensive stress relieving should atleast add 5-10% more. While some of you may read this in a wrong way; yes these techniques are also applicable on diesel engines too. ;) If I may add, a full engine dynamic balancing can reduce excessive vibrations on high rpm's. Everything can be achieved, the only downside I could forsee is the engine's durability.

3. Though skimming the flywheel on its contact area about 8-10mm will only help transfer the power quickly to your drivetrains, I didn't find any percentage of additional power output from this end. As I could remember 3-4 years ago, it was impossible to lighten the flywheel. Less torque, eventually no power to drive the whole vehicle.

But some local machine shops now claim that it is possible now for diesel engines. Though I would not recommend it as there are no studies or anyone to his flywheel claimed that it is 100% effective.

4. Adding a less restricted airflow filter means that the engine can breathe more than its usual. But be warned that a free flow muffler is not always as effective as the ads declare. Even on gas fed engines, the back pressure the original muffs make is a necessity for an engine to build up on its torque. Some engines may adjust the low end torque to 200-500rpm while other engines lose all the low end that it needs to move a vehicle from a standstill point.

5. There are two vehicle components that can achieve regearing. Transmission and differentials. All gears can be re-geared to suit the driver's need, more acceleration or more top end speed. Though you only have to choose either of the options mentioned. There's no vehicle yet that could have better acceleration and at the same time gain more top speed. That's why people occassionally adjust the turbo for acceleration then re-gear their system for full speed.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I still find "Port and Polishing" for diesels controversial. Conflicting yung mga reports na binigay sakin ng iba-ibang mekaniko dati when i had my diesel engine overhauled. The funny thing is, yung ineexpect kong magsusupport ng porting and polishing, siya pa umayaw gawin. The guy was Mang Clemente, sikat sa racing underground.

But here's what i'll suggest...... do ENGINE BALANCING instead.

Almost all of them are in agreement that having all rotating components (crank, cams,flywheel, etc.) balanced will give your diesel engine SMOOTHER operation.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    turbo diesel peeps. manual turbo boost adjustment. this was taught to me, but had no time to do it.

locate the hose from the vacuum that triggers the wastegate, cut in in the middle and put a T, it could be a T that is used in the aquarium, reconnect. now the bottom of the T is open, find a screw that will fit. tighten to lower boost open up to increase boost. the theory behind this is that some vacuum escapes if the screw is loose therby lessening the vacuum to pull open the wastegate. this was done to a pick-up 4JB1-t by his friend who enjoys rallying there in manila. recommended that you have a boost gauge though. anyone wants to try this. he tried up to 15psi but losses power on top end best was 13psi.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    mas maganda gamitin yung valve na nabibili sa aquarium shops. don't know what it is called. tanung nyo nalang. you can mount this on your dash para madali magadjust.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    oo nga pala, if you want to achieve more power, sabayan mo ng pag pihit dun sa injection pump. may screw yan to add more fuel pag nag inject. This will make your mixture rich but with the additional boost, more power.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ARB:: The 4D56 guys did something similar with plain washers. Sigurado kong mayroon are Me, Otep. KCBoy, Kimpoy and ang pasimuno, Yellow.

For less than 30 bucks and 30 minutes of ratcheting, instant boost. I think we managed to crank the boost to 11psi from the stock boost of 8psi. Tama ba figures ko guys?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i read that before tried to apply it to my engine but can't. if i have time and in the mood to tinker i will try this adjustable thing.

bubbles - oo nga pala, may valve na adjustable for the aquarium, you can close it to stop the flow thru the hose. pa kabit muna ako ng boost gauge. he he even autogauge lang na without oil.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Don't forget the inexpensive washers tip improve power.

http://www.tsikot.com/forums/showthr...highlight=4d56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
tips 2 add more power 2 ur diesel engine