New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    What are the advantages and disadvantages to having aftermarket filters? (in my case, for an L200 strada).

additional questions: open type or drop in type?

one thing I know about aftermarket filters, its eases the air inflow which gives better combustion. So how do you know whether to take the open type or the drop in type? would the use of your vehicle pretty much determines what type of filter you'll use?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Before I sold my strada (2nd gen), I installed a cone-type K&N and fabricated an aluminum housing/heat insulator to replace the stock airfilter box.

I'm happy with the performance! "Seat of the pants feel" is great! The only downside is the "sucking sound" whenever you rev. But... I guess you can get used to it.

When I sold my strada, i installed back the stock/oem filterbox.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    - heat soak (lalo kung naka-headers)
    - mas madali dumumi throttle body

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If your car has a sensitive MAF sensor, be careful with open type since the oil in the filter itself will get accumulated on the sensitive sensor.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfire
    Before I sold my strada (2nd gen), I installed a cone-type K&N and fabricated an aluminum housing/heat insulator to replace the stock airfilter box.

I'm happy with the performance! "Seat of the pants feel" is great! The only downside is the "sucking sound" whenever you rev. But... I guess you can get used to it.

When I sold my strada, i installed back the stock/oem filterbox.

sir woodfire, what about water ingestion? since you've fabricated an aluminum housing, did it give you enough protection considering the occasional half-tire floods we tend to be tempted to go through since we are driving high clearance vehicles?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    followup question! sir woodfire, are you selling the filter and fabricated box?

sir theveed, ano yung MAF sensor?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by notEworthy27
    followup question! sir woodfire, are you selling the filter and fabricated box?

sir theveed, ano yung MAF sensor?

MAF sensor = Mass Air Flow Sensor

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Ah ok! hehe wala naman ata sa '01 strada. perhaps sa bago or sa paj. thanks sir!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    diesels usually ata don't have MAF sensors...would they?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    honestly, I don't know. Tingin ko gas lang. not unless you plan to get your diesel auto configured to be a race car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thought about aftermarket filters