New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Taxi operators are the most experienced with car maintenance and car troubles, we should consult them.

Like for example, how often to change oil and what is the best and cheapest oil to use and also oil filter, and where to get them the oil, oil filter and the service involved.

Do we have taxi operators in this forum?

Please introduce yourselves.

Yrreg

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmmm. i may have to disagree a bit bro.
    probably their experiences in maintenance is for their fleet, but then, a taxi driven 24 x 7 is different from a vehicle privately driven, which means, parts and even oils for these vehicles may not be suitable for privately driven vehicles.
    imho and not to flame.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I beg to disagree on this as a general observation.

Taxi operators may not be the best to have managing your car service in the same way taxi drivers are the worst people to employ as private drivers.
    - A lot of operators will scrimp on service and will look for the cheapest parts to keep the car running for it's expected lifespan. One example is if they were looking for the best and cheapest then i think there would have been more market for stuff like the Baldwin and Fleetguard oil filters which are surprisingly affordable and last longer. Why did LPG taxis become a health concern in the first place? It's because their maintenance habits are not good.
    - Taxi drivers (unless they privately own the vehicle) don't care about the vehicle. As long as tumatakbo, okay. That's why you even have taxi drivers fiddling with the engines to run lean because they are trying to max the fuel efficiency, even if this is bad for the engine.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Duh!

Taxi operators are businessmen, not car aficionados!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yrreg View Post
    Taxi operators are the most experienced with car maintenance and car troubles, we should consult them.

Like for example, how often to change oil and what is the best and cheapest oil to use and also oil filter, and where to get them the oil, oil filter and the service involved.

Yrreg
    Whaaaat?!!!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Laspag nga lahat ng taxi natin dito, hehehe
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yrreg View Post

Yrreg
    medyo may katotohanan din to, kapitbahay kasi namin meron 5 vios na taxis and most of the time sa kanya kami nagtatanong since my vios din kami :-) sa kanya na rin kami nagpapachange oil. bili lang ng oil and filter.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frequenzy View Post
    medyo may katotohanan din to, kapitbahay kasi namin meron 5 vios na taxis and most of the time sa kanya kami nagtatanong since my vios din kami :-) sa kanya na rin kami nagpapachange oil. bili lang ng oil and filter.
    Would never trust a taxi operator with my car.

Taxi operators just need to keep their cars running for the maximum amount of time with minimum cost.

On the other hand, I want to keep my car in top condition.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    kung pinakamatipid na paraan sa pag maintain ng car pwede ka magtanong sa taxi operator

mga piesa na kailangan na palitan sasabihin sayo pwede pa yan hehe

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by frequenzy View Post
    So what's his advice to you when it comes to maintaining your Vios? Tips? Service practices, spare parts to use, etc?

Hindi naman kinakahoy yung Vios mo for spare parts? Hehehe (j/k).

A change oil job is pretty straightforward. I sometimes have mine done by a backyard mechanic who also services taxis. He gets my old, used parts from our old Sentra and a Corolla i used to own. Heck even my worn tires he gets them for use in the taxis he services. Kulang nalang ata pati yung 5,000km old oil and oil filter ko, i-reuse ulit. :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Taxi operators are the most experienced with car maintenance and car troubles...