New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys, quick query lang...

A mechanic suggested that I have my tappets adjusted because it's kinda noisy according to him.

Question is : Is it really needed? Aside from making the engine noise dissappear? What if I didn't have it done, will the engine life decrease? Will it have any adverse effect to my engine?

Actually I'm quite happy with the FC of my ESi, even though it's already 16 yrs old, I can get 10 - 11 kms/L, I'm just worried that there will be a change with my FC after having my tappets adjusted.

Also, I am thinking that if it is not needed, then I'll spend the money on other maintenance stuffs instead.

Share your opinions gurus,

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post
    Hi guys, quick query lang...

A mechanic suggested that I have my tappets adjusted because it's kinda noisy according to him.

Question is : Is it really needed? Aside from making the engine noise dissappear? What if I didn't have it done, will the engine life decrease? Will it have any adverse effect to my engine?

Actually I'm quite happy with the FC of my ESi, even though it's already 16 yrs old, I can get 10 - 11 kms/L, I'm just worried that there will be a change with my FC after having my tappets adjusted.

Also, I am thinking that if it is not needed, then I'll spend the money on other maintenance stuffs instead.

Share your opinions gurus,

Thank you.
    Yes kung maingay na puwede i-check yan for adjustment. How to Adjust Valves on a Four Cylinder Honda Car | Tech Articles

DIY tappet adjustment

make sure a reliable mechanic will do this.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Yes kung maingay na puwede i-check yan for adjustment. How to Adjust Valves on a Four Cylinder Honda Car | Tech Articles

DIY tappet adjustment

make sure a reliable mechanic will do this.

Sir Ry_Tower,

What if I decide not to opt for adjustment? Will there be any ill effects to the life span of the engine?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post
    Sir Ry_Tower,

What if I decide not to opt for adjustment? Will there be any ill effects to the life span of the engine?
    AFAIK mas mababa yung FC mo kasi valve adjustment are needed to maintain the engine in tip top shape. Mura lang naman yan basta kaibiganin mo yung mekaniko!
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Need talaga to adjust ng tapet kapag kailangan, kase kung hindi mo maregular check yung clearance ng tapet, pwedeng mag hardstarting yan or hindi pino ang andar ng engine

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    AFAIK mas mababa yung FC mo kasi valve adjustment are needed to maintain the engine in tip top shape. Mura lang naman yan basta kaibiganin mo yung mekaniko!
    Sir Ry_Tower, how much po ba magpa adjust ng tappets based on your own experience?

Tappets Adjustment : Is it necessary?