Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    [SIZE="3"]Elow Guyz...Have a Q here...

Which of the two would you prefer?

1) Using a SYNTHETIC oil and have an oil change every 10,000 Km
    2) Using a MINERAL oil and have an oil change every 5,000 Km

????

Which of the two will give a better protection to your engine?

Comments and suggestions are highly appreciated...

TIA...
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    i'll go for the full synthetic and change it after 10k or 6mos which ever comes first......

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    synthetic pre,..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Synthetic can last for 12 months in newer and better engines. However some engines work better with a 3 month replacement cycle. Sa Honda City namin we change once a year with synthetic (Mobil 1) and odo reading of 12k+ lapsed.

Sa gasoline synthetic oil definitely mainam. Sa diesel the 3 month replacement cycle works better. Kung marami kang pera go synthetic pero ako budget kaya mineral na lang sa diesel.

Ultimately check your car manual as to what is the suggested oil and frequency of changing oil.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    [SIZE=3]Ok guys...thanks for you inputs...but I need more explanation for my question...

Parang ganito kasi...

kung sakaling mineral oil ang gamit d b change siya in 4,000-5,000 km? Tapos pag synthetic naman 8,000-10,000 km? Ngayon pag sa synthetic sa layo ng tinakbo eh parang nadodoble yung dami ng dumi sa oil na kung i-kukumpara sa mineral eh mas konti lang yung dumi dahil mas short yung distance travelled...

Pagdating naman sa lubrication/engine protection gaano ba kalayo ang difference ng synthetic sa mineral?

Kaya guyz...please further elaborate on this?

TIA ulet...
    [/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Any type of oil should be changed after 5000km or 3 months of abuse.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Oil change interval will depend on the condition of the engine and of the oil. The type of engine and it's tolerance has to be taken into account.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post
    [SIZE=3]Ok guys...thanks for you inputs...but I need more explanation for my question...

Parang ganito kasi...

kung sakaling mineral oil ang gamit d b change siya in 4,000-5,000 km? Tapos pag synthetic naman 8,000-10,000 km? Ngayon pag sa synthetic sa layo ng tinakbo eh parang nadodoble yung dami ng dumi sa oil na kung i-kukumpara sa mineral eh mas konti lang yung dumi dahil mas short yung distance travelled...

Pagdating naman sa lubrication/engine protection gaano ba kalayo ang difference ng synthetic sa mineral?

Kaya guyz...please further elaborate on this?

TIA ulet...
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]your car should have come with an owner's manual. in it, the service intervals are specified as to the time/mileage due. this guide tells you it is the maximum service interval for your fluids with the least wear and tear assuming your engine is neither running too hot nor too cold (overcooled engine). the mineral oil to this time is API service SM or protection level has been dramatically increased since the SD oils of the '70's. additives to the oil like corrosion inhibitors, detergent, friction modifiers and dispersants have been improved. the sulfur content had been reduced too (sulfur in your oil mixed with moisture by heat and agitation-results in acids in your oil). the synthetics have no or very little sulfur in them. it is still better to change your oil at the recommended intervals. just like your bath tub, you would not want to soak in the same tub of water over and over. in the same token, it is pointless to change oil too frequently aside from reducing waste and for a greener earth.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; January 13th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Synthetic definitely gives better protection than mineral, especially true with most engines today that operate on a higher temperature range than few decades back. Yes, it will look dirty since the intervals between change is a bit longer but it is mostly just the color of the oil. The oil filter usually removes the particles that can do major damage in the engine.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post
    [SIZE=3]Ok guys...thanks for you inputs...but I need more explanation for my question...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Parang ganito kasi...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]kung sakaling mineral oil ang gamit d b change siya in 4,000-5,000 km? Tapos pag synthetic naman 8,000-10,000 km? Ngayon pag sa synthetic sa layo ng tinakbo eh parang nadodoble yung dami ng dumi sa oil na kung i-kukumpara sa mineral eh mas konti lang yung dumi dahil mas short yung distance travelled...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Pagdating naman sa lubrication/engine protection gaano ba kalayo ang difference ng synthetic sa mineral?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Kaya guyz...please further elaborate on this?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]TIA ulet...[/SIZE]
    synthetics generally have more detergents than mineral oil, and your idea re. mas malayong biyahe = mas madaming dumi sa oil, doesn't hold much water. kasi, as what i've just said, has more detergents to combat impurities (and more). also, short distance driving is not good for the oil as it dilutes it with fuel. fuel dilution lowers oil viscosity etc. etc.

sythetics, in general, have more dispersants, have better working temperatures, retains viscosity better (for multi viscosity grades), have more rust inhibitors, has tougher oil film strength, basically almost better at everything, than your usual mineral oil.

for lubrication and protection, again, generally, sythetics have the edge.

but oil application really depends on how you will use the car.

if you'll just bog, say 3k kms in a span of 6 months, a good mineral oil would suffice.

if you travel a lot and 10k kms is easy, sythetics is a good (and economical) way to go.

the more important factor to consider is the viscosity and oil change intervals, factoring engine condition, age, and type (naturally aspirated or forced induced)

for f.i. apps, use only sythetics, and replace them at 6 months interval.

for diesel engines, you can use either mineral or sythetic, pero you have to change it sooner. (3 months for mineral, 6 months for sythetic)

for mineral oil, 3-6 months, or 5k kms is a good gauge.

for sythetics, 6-12 months, or 10k++ kms.

get a good quality oil filter. oem is best. vic too.

you can't judge the oil condition by its color. for all i know, if the oil changes its color after just several kms of driving, it's just doing its job, and it's doing it very well. i'll be more alarmed if it doesn't change color actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Synthetic VS. Mineral