New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi all,

I was planning on installing an SRI for my 97 coupe, was able to get a price quote but it was kinda pricey at 9500. is this price just about right? they'll be fabricating the SRI with a K&N filter. what are my other alternatives?

also, correct me if im wrong, as i understand, SRI improves performance at the low - mid range right? what's it's difference from a CAI?

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    9.5k is okay, depending on the materials being used and considering it includes a K&N (typically 4.5k+ by itself). You can get cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

What shop?

The amount of power an SRI or CAI makes is dependent on how hot it gets under your hood, how your engine reacts to hot air, how the new filter affects airflow running past the air sensors and where in the engine bay the filter is. Expect a modest bump in performance, but I suggest scouring the internet for set-ups for your car from overseas to get an idea of what works well and what doesn't.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the reply niky!

Just received word from the shop and it's actually 8500 Pesos and not 9.5k. o ha, napamura pa eh. and the shop is Speedlab. didnt want to mentioin shop names earlier coz baka ma bad rep sila. didnt want that to happen naman . turns out it's a fair and cheaper price as previously thought so i guess it's ok to post now

Most of the Tibs i see online has fitted CAIs. AFAIK, CAIs are good for higher performance ranges and SRIs are for the lower to mid performance. Also CAIs give more horses than SRIs. Im not going for top better response in higher performance ranges naman. i just want better response in the low - mid revs. please correct me if i am thinking things wrong.

How does SRIs affect fuel economy? want to research this more before dropping hard earned cash Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The effects on fuel economy will depend on how the engine reacts to it. If it makes intake air slightly warmer or slightly colder, it may increase economy. If it makes it much warmer (can't make it much colder, being inside the engine bay), it may decrease economy.

You should gain a bit of "get-up-and-go"... but you will also gain top end. It's not true that you won't gain top-end with an SRI. In fact, some CAIs give more mid-range power but strangle a bit at the top end due to the convoluted flow of air. It's all a case-to-case-basis. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

SRI for Hyundai 1997 coupe