New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Hi everyone. just a female newbie here and hope this forum will help me about my car problem.

i bought a 2nd hand mitsubishi galant 95 and unfortunately, i was fooled and engine went down after a month of buying it. it was really bad and i got no choice but to change the engine. i've decided to changed it from 6 cyl to 4 cyl as advised by some of my friends. anyway, to cut the story short, it run smoothly after the change of engine. radiator was also overhauled.

the problem is, i noticed one rainy night when i was driving, there is a smoke coming from the hood. i thought it was an overheat but when i check the temp, it was normal. when i arrived home, i opened the hood to check the radiator and remove the cap, but it seems like it's fine. i don't know where the smoke is coming from. it happened to me not just once, the hood is producing smoke on rainy days. i asked my mechanic in SHELL, and i was informed that it just normal because the hood is producing heat and smoke is due to rain. is it really normal? or i am just being paranoid. got traumatized before when i experienced overheat with my old engine.

thanks.
    cheng

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    it's normal

3. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    your engine bay is hot, sprinkled with rain water, and you see the smoke (steam).

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    do i have to do something? sa ibang car kasi parang hindi ko naman napapansin yung ganun. there was a time that the smoke is really getting thicker. mas nakikita ko sya kapag hindi ganun kalakas ung ulan

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    none at all. kahit ako kanina papasok sa work, nung natapatan ako ng liwanag ng headlight from oncoming traffic, napansin ko hood ko nausok. kung gusto mo, palagay ka ng insulator sa ilalim ng hood, para di mag radiate yung heat from engine papunta sa ibabaw ng hood. normal po yan. iba naman kasi ang itsura pag overheat at makikita mo sa thermometer yan.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    thanks a lot. ngayon medyo relax na ako kasi kinakabahan ako everytime na napapansin kong may usok sa hood tapos normal naman yung temp nung sasakyan. do you have any idea magkano yung insulator para ma lessen yung heat sa hood? thanks thanks po talaga.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That also happens to the Suzuki Jimny. There's nothing wrong. The exhaust manifold on the Zuk is just a wee bit too close to the hood, I guess. And there's no underhood insulation to prevent heat from radiating onto the hood.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    It's normal. No need to worry. It's not smoke by the way, it's steam. You know, Water evaporating. The same thing when you boil water.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ok lang ang usok sa hood kapag umuulan..natural lang yan..

matakot ka kapag sa dashboard nagsimula ang usok malamang may short circuit yan )

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erj22 View Post
    none at all. kahit ako kanina papasok sa work, nung natapatan ako ng liwanag ng headlight from oncoming traffic, napansin ko hood ko nausok. kung gusto mo, palagay ka ng insulator sa ilalim ng hood, para di mag radiate yung heat from engine papunta sa ibabaw ng hood. normal po yan. iba naman kasi ang itsura pag overheat at makikita mo sa thermometer yan.

yes, you could opt to put insulator under the hood which is more evident on diesel engines which gets more hotter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast