New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi sirs, I just noticed yesterday that the water inside my radiator has some slight rainbowish color. Could this be a sign of a busted cylindrer head gasket? Should I replace it ASAP?

I'm not overheating naman. Sometimes my temperature goes up above half but goes back to half after a few seconds.

BTW my car is a 95 Civic.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    -- double post --

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Updates sirs, this is what I did earlier.

I popped up the hood and took the radiator cap off, I used my flashlight to take a closer look inside my radiator. The presence of the rainbow swirls was not present but I saw some tiny specks. It doesn't looks like rust to me.

How can I know if this is really oil in my radiator? I need you help badly before I make some drastic moves. Thanks tsikot!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    may white smoke ba lumalabas sa tail pipe? .....baka naman madumi lang radiator mo........... try to drain your coolant first and check kung nag halo ang oil at h2o amoyin mo if amoy oil para sure ... better pa check mo sa competent mechanic asap lalaki gastos mo dyan pag napabayaan, baka blown head gasket na yan.........good luck

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by raycon_24 View Post
    may white smoke ba lumalabas sa tail pipe? .....baka naman madumi lang radiator mo........... try to drain your coolant first and check kung nag halo ang oil at h2o amoyin mo if amoy oil para sure ... better pa check mo sa competent mechanic asap lalaki gastos mo dyan pag napabayaan, baka blown head gasket na yan.........good luck
    How will I know if the oil mixed with the water inside my rad? The color isn't milo-ish naman, it's still clear with some micro substances in it.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    hello sir,
    mas mganda nyan sir, pa-check nyo na ng maaga para mwala na yung agam-agam mu about sa radiator. mura lang nman po pa-overhaul ng radiator, from 400 to 700 lang nman po. ganun kc ginawa ko, mabilis 2maas yung temp ko pero bumababa din nman kgad. Nalaman lang nmin ng gumagawa may butas na pala mismo at ang daming mineral deposits radiator ko. Nung ngawa at natakpan na mga butas, nag-ok na temp ko,,di na rin mabilis maubos yung 2big...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir Richmond,
    Chief, try flushing first your radiator then observe. Kung bumabalik pa din, possible gasket failure, either head gasket or in-take line (yung sa akin kasi carbureted pa). Check also your reservoir, kung may sticky residue and fuel or oil smell, o nagbabawas ng langis, then surely gasket nga. Usually, the rainbow-ish color is a sign that an oil is present or mixed with water. Since my Oldie car does not have a thermostat, I tried removing the cap prior morning start-up. Then upon cranking, bumulwak yung tubig! (dati hindi naman). Tumpak, sira nga head gasket ko.

8. Join Date
    May 2009
    "There is usually gold at the end of the rainbow-ish color" hehehehehe......A quick tip to know if coolant is getting to the oil sump (esp. on cases you can't really see bubbles of water): Pull out dipstick and drop the oil into an aluminum foil. Bring out your "adik" lighter and apply heat at the bottom of foil. Do not burn the foil of course. If the oil pops, it is contaminated with water.

Slight Rainbow-ish Colored Water in the Radiator.. Help please..