New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    hi,

my mechanic recently replaced my distributor o-ring and i'm not sure if it was adjusted properly since he didn't use any timing light to advance/retard ignition timing. do i need to have it checked and readjusted? drivability seems the same though.

TIA

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyboy View Post
    hi,

my mechanic recently replaced my distributor o-ring and i'm not sure if it was adjusted properly since he didn't use any timing light to advance/retard ignition timing. do i need to have it checked and readjusted? drivability seems the same though.

TIA
    He most likely marked how the distributor cap is aligned before he disassembled it.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    He most likely marked how the distributor cap is aligned before he disassembled it.
    hello,

i don't think he marked the distributor cap. i saw him putting it back then twisting it manually. hehehe...anyway, the best thing to do is to have it checked i guess.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyboy View Post
    hello,

i don't think he marked the distributor cap. i saw him putting it back then twisting it manually. hehehe...anyway, the best thing to do is to have it checked i guess.
    I guess you should. Anyway, by marking, I meant to say that he might have done it visually (without actually making a physical mark). He may also just relied on how the engine is running and made realtime adjustments to it.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    me drivability problems ba?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Alam niya kung saan sparkplug nakaturo ang rotor.
    One spline off makes a big difference.
    Its taught in tech school. Alala ko tuloy yung 4k practice engine namin.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    galing naman nya if he adjusted timing without a light. if it's by feel lang then i would have it checked by a shop that has a timing light and knows what the timing for your engine should be.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Madaling ma-adjust ang ignition timing without the help of a timing light (if you are still using contact points).

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    tonyboy,
    you didn't post your car and year model to begin with. how do we know what type of distributor you are talking about then? Is it attached at the end of the camshaft and in line with the camshaft, or is it attached somewhere inclined to the engine block, where the end of the distributor shaft drives the
    oil pump? This will help to know how to set the timing, if disturbed.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Alam niya kung saan sparkplug nakaturo ang rotor.
    One spline off makes a big difference.
    Its taught in tech school. Alala ko tuloy yung 4k practice engine namin.
    sa batch namin SAMSON TECH 86 3K ENGINE TRADE TEST , MAGSTART LANG PASADO NA .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
advance/retard ignition timing