New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    In Europe and one Asia-Pacific Country which is Papua New Guinea, the japanese automakers have CRDi variants of their passenger vehicles. when i say passenger vehicles i mean hatchbacks, sub-compacts, compact sedans and suvs, and mid-size sedans. as of now, petron and shell are upgrading their refineries so that they can produce Euro III fuels. Now as in the thread title, should the japanese automakers introduce the CRDi variants of their passenger vehicles here? not only here, but also in Thailand, which manufactures most of the japanese automakers vehicles in the ASEAN region?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    wouldnt it be up to the dealers? because most of the japaness brands have a diesel version for their car models. like you said in papua new guinea. they have toyota cars that are diesel.. and nissan have them too... they even have an xtrail that is diesel..althought im not quite sure if they are CRDi models.. i never got the chance to check out the diesel engines when i was last there....

I think they should. Giving the consumers choices is always a good thing.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, there's a few issues they have to handle first.

For one, the aforementioned fuel quality. CRDi is supposed to be the answer to the pollution problem, but the quality of some of our local diesel is, quite frankly, deadly for CRDi engines. Take the infamous D4D issue, lesser known smoke-belching issues for Hyundai and BMW (well, Toyota D4Ds do it, too) over the long term.

Another issue is price and the market. CRDi vehicles usually cost more than their gasoline counterparts... as witnessed with Hyunda vehicles which are sold both in gasoline and diesel configuration. There's a fear on the part of some manufacturers that CRDis would be priced out of their target market ranges.

Even if they aren't... the question is whether the volume of sales will be big enough to justify the other expenses involved... notably the expenses of training service personnel and purchasing equipment for the maintenance of these vehicles.

But with the knee-jerk reaction of the buying public towards rising gas-prices being to go diesel, they really should look into bringing more CRDis in... if only to maintain their volume in certain market sectors.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think they should. The answer to the injector problems and the smoke belching problems of the crdi's of toyota, hyundai, and also the lesser known problem of the isuzu trooper crdi's is not only the improvement of the diesel quality through more stringent refining process but also the mandate to add 1% biodiesel in all diesel fuel sold at the pump. There's a drive to ramp this up to 2% and maybe even 5% in the future depending on the results B1. Hopefully, the economics of biodiesel will also improve to allow us to ramp it up. Yung problema naman ng crdi's with our current diesel is due to dirty diesel, kaya yung fuel injection system ang nadadale. I believe biodiesel is inherently compatible with crdi system simply because bd improves fuel lubricity and also ensures the cleanliness of the fuel injection system.

at saka advantage sa 'tin kung mauuso ang crdi's coz our country is one of the few countries where diesel is "subsidized" thru smaller taxes comapared to gasoline. In the U.S., there's no incentive to use diesel dahil magkapresyo lang or mas mahal pa yata compared sa gasoline.

eventually, the cost of training personnel to service crdi engines should be outweighed by the demand for these vehicles. who knows baka in the future, we might even see jeepneys running on crdi engines hehehehe
    Last edited by rsnald; June 25th, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    is it really the dirty diesel quality that makes CRDi engines have problems?has this been proven?because my uncle owns a CRDi getz and he doesnt care where he refuels and he hasnt experience any problems at all...the thing that he does once in a while to really run the engine to the redline limits and its all good after that...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Hyundai has no problem with the dirty diesel here. My bro's getz crdi, my dad's starex, and my sta fe can attest to that

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Hyundai has no problem with the dirty diesel here. My bro's getz crdi, my dad's starex, and my sta fe can attest to that
    Sir oldblue, ako po nagkaproblema na injectors sa 2002 CRDi 120T kms starex ko. Sabi nung technician after the cleanup/repair/calibrate?, mukhang mga 30T kilometers na lang daw itatagal ng injectors ko, at yung dirty diesel nga lang daw ang naiisip nyang problema.

On a second note, is it true that some Hyundai dealers are saying that Caltex' diesels did not pass their quality test, and they are only recommending Shell diesel? Yung brother in law ko kasi na naka Tuczon, sinabihan daw sya ng Hyundai Alabang ng ganun.

I still love CRDi engines though, kaya everest CRDi na naman yung second vehicle namin.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vctradingcubao View Post
    I think they should. Giving the consumers choices is always a good thing.
    Agree here... A good number of Filipinos are considering this option....

3001:thud:

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vctradingcubao View Post
    Sir oldblue, ako po nagkaproblema na injectors sa 2002 CRDi 120T kms starex ko. Sabi nung technician after the cleanup/repair/calibrate?, mukhang mga 30T kilometers na lang daw itatagal ng injectors ko, at yung dirty diesel nga lang daw ang naiisip nyang problema.

On a second note, is it true that some Hyundai dealers are saying that Caltex' diesels did not pass their quality test, and they are only recommending Shell diesel? Yung brother in law ko kasi na naka Tuczon, sinabihan daw sya ng Hyundai Alabang ng ganun.

I still love CRDi engines though, kaya everest CRDi na naman yung second vehicle namin.
    2002 CRDi Starex? grey market sa'yo? I though 2004 ang first batch ng CRDi starex ng HARI sa'tin. facelifted ver. na ba sa yo sir

hindi nga kami nagamit ng Caltex, Shell lang and one gasoline station lang ang pinapa-gasan namin since the vehicles were bought except on long trips
    Last edited by oldblue; June 25th, 2007 at 07:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Should the Japanese Brands Introduce the CRDi Engines of their Passenger Vehicles?