New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Naguluhan na ko. Sabi sa manual ng Accent 95 RON ang recommended fuel. Pero iba pala ang RON (research octane number) kumpara sa Octane rating

Question: sa pinas, octane rating gamit natin. Tama?

Kung tama, ang recommended pala sa sasakyan ko at 91 octane as per RON to Octane conversion? [Archive] - AudiWorld Forums

Pa confirm naman. Salamat

Sent from my iPhone using Tsikot Car Forums

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RON is Octane.

RON stands for Research Octane Number. Which is a valid way of measuring octane.

The US uses the AKI, or anti-knock index, which is derived from Motor Octane Number and Research Octane Number.

The only difference between MON and RON is that MON is a more difficult test and is measured with a test engine under load. There is no direct conversion from MON to RON since different blends react differently to both tests. Which is why you can't convert RON to AKI or vice versa.

But none of this matters at all here. Your manual states requirement in RON. All pumps here are labelled in RON. So there's no difference.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thanks niky. All good info

And now a question. Since phoenix started, i have been refilling there. Owner, my wife's vios and now my accent. Do you think their 95ron unleaded is good?

Vios doesn't mind but am worried with the accent engine knocks of the gamma engine.

My dealer says the new kappa engine is better than gamma, but i want to be on the safe side.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by weewee View Post
    Thanks niky. All good info

And now a question. Since phoenix started, i have been refilling there. Owner, my wife's vios and now my accent. Do you think their 95ron unleaded is good?

Vios doesn't mind but am worried with the accent engine knocks of the gamma engine.

My dealer says the new kappa engine is better than gamma, but i want to be on the safe side.

Phoenix still imports its supply since they don't have their own refinery yet. This makes them susceptible to quality control issues.

Any reason why you're sticking to Phoenix despite the availability of major players?

Sent from my iPad using Tsikot Car Forums

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Cost: I can't deny that they are 1.00 - 2.00 cheaper. There are days that they have random discount of 3.00 more on certain hours

Quality: Good thing you pointed out the quality issue. From my experience, owner type jeep, motorcycle and vios have great smooth running engine. But all of them have old engine tech. Do you think with the kappa engine, phoenix will be perfect?

Service: i have yet to visit a rude phoenix station. Very clean washrooms.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I believe that quality issues have more to do with the franchise owners than the company itself. I've visited some big three gas stations that have given me water-contaminated fuel.

As long as you only fill up at one station and have no issues there, no reason not to keep filling up at that station.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I believe that quality issues have more to do with the franchise owners than the company itself. I've visited some big three gas stations that have given me water-contaminated fuel.

As long as you only fill up at one station and have no issues there, no reason not to keep filling up at that station.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

I cannot speak for all of the big three, but for one of them, I'm pretty sure that the emergency response and daily monitoring systems established work very well in determining if the site has been contaminated with water, and that the pool of retailers currently running the sites are competent and responsible enough to take the corrective measures whenever unsafe conditions occur that can cause water contamination.

RON vs Octane Rating? Help