New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    True but the thread-starter is comparing prices/costs of either doing an engine swap or overhauling the existing engine. So performance is not the priority but cost in the short and long run.
    Well... it depends... is waiting months for parts that may never come equivalent to the cost of swapping?

But still... the problem of drive-axle length will decide the thing. If there is a problem, then the cost of a GA16 swap will go up commesurately, and the extra cost of the SR20 swap, in comparison, will not be as big.

Which you think is the better GA16 version for this? .... the GA16DE or the GA16DNE? I would be leaning towards the DNE because of less problems like the idle problem associated with the GA16DE in the B13s.
    The later, the better, I guess. :D

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So the question boils down to... will the GA16 fit the tranny spline and bell housing of the CA20 tranny? If yes, then that solves the axel problem.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I would not recommend a GA series engine swap with your Maxima. Although your Maxima is a 3rd Gen Stanza in the International market, the chasis is a real Maxima. So it's heavy. GA engines just won't do the job. Either have the CA20 overhauled (like what I did with my Maxima... a keeper!) or replace it with the SR series engine.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmd3_787 View Post
    I would not recommend a GA series engine swap with your Maxima. Although your Maxima is a 3rd Gen Stanza in the International market, the chasis is a real Maxima. So it's heavy. GA engines just won't do the job. Either have the CA20 overhauled (like what I did with my Maxima... a keeper!) or replace it with the SR series engine.
    Actually if you compare engine specs of the GA16DE vs the CA20, you'll see they are a close match in hp and torque.

Installing a SR20DE engine would be more expensive.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Actually if you compare engine specs of the GA16DE vs the CA20, you'll see they are a close match in hp and torque.

Installing a SR20DE engine would be more expensive.
    I still won't recommend a GA16DE swap with the CA20. Why settle for an engine with the same power while you can have a SR20DE which is more powerful? Yun nga lang, mas mahal pero mas hataw.

From my experience, the CA20 still has the performance edge over the GA16DE. Paperwise, halos pareho lang talaga ang ang specs nila.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmd3_787 View Post
    I still won't recommend a GA16DE swap with the CA20. Why settle for an engine with the same power while you can have a SR20DE which is more powerful? Yun nga lang, mas mahal pero mas hataw.
    Why settle? ... maybe if cost is the primary concern of the TS. The cost between overhauling the existing motor and doing an engine swap.

Not all engine swaps are about more power. Some are more into the practical side of having a more modern engine with the same performance as the original motor.

From my experience, the CA20 still has the performance edge over the GA16DE. Paperwise, halos pareho lang talaga ang ang specs nila.
    The thread is about either overhauling the old CA20 or doing an engine swap. Performance difference between the CA20 and GA16 is not the topic.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; May 27th, 2009 at 09:02 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the inputs...

Primary Intention is just to make it run in good condition, travelling with less worries if none is close to impossible...

Thus, overhaul or swap?

If no choice talaga, then probably going for a more powerful engine swap will be the last option

I received some inputs from someone, to go with the overhaul option, since I cannot be sure if an engine swap will automatically work for a long time...

still weighing my options though, of course money does play a big role

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolSwitch View Post
    Thanks for the inputs...

Primary Intention is just to make it run in good condition, travelling with less worries if none is close to impossible...

Thus, overhaul or swap?

If no choice talaga, then probably going for a more powerful engine swap will be the last option

I received some inputs from someone, to go with the overhaul option, since I cannot be sure if an engine swap will automatically work for a long time...

still weighing my options though, of course money does play a big role
    You can still decide later. Canvass all the parts you will be needing and have them estimate the cost of labor. And then add ten percent to the total because there will always be unforeseen stuff that will need to be replaced, etc.

After you got that amount, you can decide for certain which path you want to take.

BTW, engine swap will also need a change in registration.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    thanks... sayang na-misplace ko yung quote ng FRENS (beside toyota alabang) they quoted along the 3+,+++ range, nandun pa naman yung parts na kailangan daw palitan...

will try to get other quotes from different mechs

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Why settle? ... maybe if cost is the primary concern of the TS. The cost between overhauling the existing motor and doing an engine swap.

Not all engine swaps are about more power. Some are more into the practical side of having a more modern engine with the same performance as the original motor.

The thread is about either overhauling the old CA20 or doing an engine swap. Performance difference between the CA20 and GA16 is not the topic.
    But then again that is a MAYBE... common sense lang naman siguro na pag pera ang concern ay dun ka sa mas praktikal. Since we're broadening the options, we also have to consider performance.

At pag engine ang usapan, kahit na overhauling or swap pa yan, hindi mawawala ang power or performance sa topic. Alangan namang magpa-OH or swap ka w/o even considering the outcome. Would you settle for that?

Masyado ng mainit ang thread na ito. LOL! As to the TS, goodluck! You have a great ride. . . Have fun with your Maxima!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Replacement for CA20 engine