New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chiefs, Gurus,

I have this vintage Galant with a 4G63 Carbureted SOHC engine. I noticed lately that the water from the reservoir lowers everyday (but minimal only) and that a somewhat sticky substance sticks along the container walls (minimal also). Also, while the engine is on idle, i tried opening the radiator cap and I noticed a minimal whitish smoke or mist coming out of it. Before, everything is normal. I consistently replace my water with a distilled one and also add a coolant. Can you give me the possible causes of the mentioned concerns? I don't want to think that my head gasket is busted (it'll surely mean money! ) One more thing chiefs, my radiator water smells a bit gasoline!

Thank you so much for your reply and suggestions! More power!

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Better to think that it's a head gasket only rather than a cracked cylinder head or warped block.....

1. Whitish smoke could be the exhaust gases.
    2. Sticky substance in the reservoir could be the oil.
    3. Rad water smells gasoline means a sealing problem.

Item #1 happened to me before plus a lot of bubbling and pressure build-up in the cooling system when cold.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Kung sakaling head gasket maging problema huwag tipirin maraming murang head gasket na replacement sakit ulo at aberya sandali lang bigay agad. laking trabaho.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Kung sakaling head gasket maging problema huwag tipirin maraming murang head gasket na replacement sakit ulo at aberya sandali lang bigay agad. laking trabaho.
    +1, an oem head gasket is not that epensive for your ride. Better use it para isang gawaan lang if ever yan nga culprit. just my 2 cents of advice.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir's Miked, Speed Unlimited, RY_Tower,

Thank you so much for your replies . I decided to have my car checked and you're all right, the culprit was definitely a busted Head gasket, nagastusan na naman po ako . Though at least hindi ko na pinatagal at baka di lang yon ang nasira. Maybe my wrong move is that I've decided to have the head gasket replaced by a Federal Mogul brand instead of the OEM one, of course this is due to financial constraints. I do hope it'll at least last a little bit.
    By the way, I've also included the replacement of my valve seals, grinding of the valves, head resurfacing and intake gasket. Though it had been an additional cost, at least it would add peace of mind (total cost is 6K+).
    My car will hopefully be released this afternoon, and hopefully can feel the difference.

Thank you so much again for your replies! God bless & more power!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    good brand yan federal mogul para sa akin, makagamit na rin ako niyan para sa nissan serena, yung metal type, di naman nagkaproblema.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Sir Raine,

Thank you for your comment, it surely added confidence and peace on my mind. My mechanic said that Federal Mogul is indeed a good replacement.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to have my car back!

God bless!

8. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Sir Raine,

Thank you for your comment, it surely added confidence and peace on my mind. My mechanic said that Federal Mogul is indeed a good replacement.

Thank you so much! Can't wait to have my car back!

God bless!
    Ganyan din ang nasa pickup ko 4d56t...1st time to use. so far so good. but still under observation kung gaano itatagal...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Sa OEM kasi guaranteed na ok. Sa mga replacement na gaya ng FM, minsan may mga defective pero most of the time naman ay ok siya. Kumbaga may lemon din sila na nagagawa. hehe

*TS, hope your car will be fine now.
    Last edited by Ry_Tower; March 14th, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Eto nakakatawa....

last time bumili ako HG:

sabi ko "yung original"...sabi nung suking auto supply ko, "eto na yung magandang klase" sabi nya. "actually, eto ang kinukuha ng Casa sa akin."

Since first time ko sa FM brand, kinuha ko na lang para masubukan kako.

Napagalaman ko na yung casa na malapit sa kanya ay dun din sila kumukuha at times na hindi pa dumarating supply nung casa....sa katunayan, few months before i bought the head gasket nakasabayan ko yung partsman nung casa na yun dun mismo sa suki kong auto supply....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Radiator Smoke