New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Tsikoteers,

Ask ko lang if what would happen if I use pure concentrated coolant in my radiator? Yung walang halong tubig. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bro, it would depend on the brand of coolant that you will use. some brands like prestone do not need a mixture of water with it, but some other coolants would require you to put it in with a 1:1 mix of pure distilled water.

i really don't know what are the effects but these are what i can think of:

1. each specific engine is differently designed to work on optimum at a certain temperature. by adding coolant lang, baka the engine can work overtime to compensate to reach that specific temperature;

2. coolants alone may not properly absorb and transmit heat to work at that optimum temperature. water can do that. by doing this, it may lead to overheat because of improper heat transmission and circulation.

here is an article i got over the internet...

At temperatures below the boiling point of water, water is more effective at absorbing and carrying heat than any mixture of water and either ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. If you have a 160 degree thermostat and your cooling system is functioning well, you could theoretically add cooling capacity by replacing your water/antifreeze mixture with pure water.
    But the added cooling capacity would be short lived indeed. Adding antifreeze gives the following benefits that water alone cannot:
    • Higher boiling temperature at a given pressure
    • Lower freezing temperature
    • Corrosion resistance
    You need coolant capable of absorbing and carrying heat. Pure ethylene glycol is not such a coolant. Pure propylene glycol is barely adequate. Pure water will absorb and carry heat very well, but if your engine is designed to run hot, your water will boil away, causing an overheat. Additionally, pure water will lead to a cracked block in cold climates, and excessive cooling system corrosion in any climate.
    Always know what you're using for coolant. If you know there's no propylene glycol in the coolant mixture, you can use a simple specific gravity indicator to deduce your mixture. The ideal mixture is 50/50, but in extremely cold climates you can get by with 70% antifreeze and 30% water. Any more antifreeze will lead to overheating.

let's just wait for the opinion of the other guys here.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Tataas ang boiling and freezing point… no critical effect….only the cost mas mahal ang concentrated kaysa 50/50 prediluted.

prestone has concentrated and ready to use coolant - just like the one i got from gaby dela merced promo.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coolrider View Post
    Tsikoteers,

Ask ko lang if what would happen if I use pure concentrated coolant in my radiator? Yung walang halong tubig. Thanks.
    overheat.

Concentrated coolant have a lower heat carrying capacity than water/coolant mix or pure water.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    kung concentrated need mo pa i mix yan with distilled/mineral free water

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It's been discussed in-depth before.

See this link:

http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0011.html

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    AFAIK, no engine and coolant manufacturer recommends the use of pure coolant.

bro, it would depend on the brand of coolant that you will use. some brands like prestone do not need a mixture of water with it, but some other coolants would require you to put it in with a 1:1 mix of pure distilled water.
    Prestone and some other brands have a premixed coolant. This is ready to use as it has been dilluted at the factory. But, pure or concentrate coolant need to be dilluted.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    I tried it before in an old car, by accident. with full load of passengers hindi tumaas ang temp gauge, below minimum recommended operating temp.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    why would you even want to try this? it's not recommended so don't do it.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coolrider View Post
    Tsikoteers,

The question is, what would happen if you drink a concentrate lemonade juice? peace bro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Pure Coolant