New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Well this might be contradicting to the common practices in engine break-in periods... But I never tried it myself.

What's the best way to break-in an engine? Run it Hard.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

But during the break-in of our car:
    1. Revved up to ~3900rpms only (6500rpm redline 6900 cut-off)
    2. Some, but not few *hataw* mode (~3900rpms limit)
    3. An accidental 4500rpm rev without load

At 20,000kms, still running in good condition and still achieves good fuel economy.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj
    What i follow always is:

- Keep the rpms low (don't go above 3K rpm).
    - No jackrabbit starts.
    - Keep the top speed low (100kph more or less, depending on the rpm range also).

Just a thought: With the newer engines nowadays is following the proper break-in procedure still a must do?
    All of the above are correct plus vary your engine speed (rpm) and vehicle speed once in a while. Don't stay put in one speed for a long time.

Although some manufacturers claim that their vehicles are already factory breaked-in, I still "baby" the car when its new. Tiis-tiis lang sa 1st 1000 kms. Mahirap na magsisi. ;)

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    uso pa ba ito sa new cars, pickup ko nga wala nang break in

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    So ang tama before 1000km PMS:

Dont go beyond 3-3500 rpm
    Vary speed on long drives
    keep speed below 100kph...

KOREK ba??

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how about diesel engines? iba kasi ang RPM nito.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I think it's better to check the manual.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    sa tingin ko the best break-in for the engine e wag kalimutan ang oil change sa 1k at 5k... para matanggal lahat ng small metal particles na nasa loob ng makina...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    mga new cars ngayon di na gaano particular ang top speed, basta ang bottomline is more on avoiding running at constant speed for a long period of time or in short basta wag lang pagurin or lubhang pinapahirapan yung makina at tsaka hard or sudden stops.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    ngek, reading the website, bigla ako nanghinayang ah, i used the break in easy for my car. sayang, dapat pala nag eenjoy ako nun, di bale next time talaga, RUN IT HARD wahaha, kung may next time pa?! hayz?!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    treating your new car like a baby is fine.. but during the break in.. run it hard.. kick its a_s!!! nung unang panahon lang hinay-hinay ang pag b-break in ng sasakyan.. new cars that come out of the market are done with the break-in, and the components inside your engine is not the "carbon-dated" parts in the older machine..

old saying really never die so easily..specially sa pinas.. i have break in many vehicles at the max speed it can take.. never akong nag sisi.. dito sa saudi, they dont even know the word "break-in period"..

again there is no harm if your break in the old fashion way!!! do what pleases you and your machine!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Proper Engine Break-in