New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hi guys, I posted a similar question in our Kia Carens but I felt that it should have been posted in this section instead. My apologies mods.

This happened at 7 pm. I underestimated a small boulder in the center of the road while going up Kennon road (result of a minor rock slide). The end result was that it scraped the underside. After driving for a few more kilometers (about 15 to 20 kms more), the engine shuddered, then died. Smoke came out from under the hood. I checked underneath and noticed that oil was leaking and dripping. My immediate suspicion is that the small boulder punctured the oil pan and gradually released oil. I checked the dipstick and there was no oil at all. Prior to this, there was no Low Oil Pressure or CEL during the time that my Carens might have been leaking oil. I cannot start the car anymore so I had it towed to Kia Baguio. The engine is CRDI with VGT, M/T. It has a comprehensive insurance with AOG.

Now my questions are: Does it mean goodbye to my Carens? or will my Carens need a new engine? I called my insurance agent and he said it can qualilfy as 'own damage' and the cost of repair can be claimed from my insurance.

I badly need help guys. I know this is going to be a tough time but I still trust that I can be better informed. Kia Baguio will be able to diagnose this after two more days (today is a sunday and monday, July 16, 2012 is a holiday here in Baguio). Please help. TIA.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    oohh tough luck. Usually modern engine has a 2 oil switch system to monitor oil pressure. Maybe the oil pressure warning light lit/blink (some have a buzzer) but you did not notice it?. Kasi kung nag warning yon ang alam ko immediately you have to stop the engine and check oil level kasi mabilis ang damage sa engine e.g. bearings, piston rings, ng low oil pressure or running without oil.

IMHO, worst case scenario is change engine yan. check din natin magiging feedback ng mga tsikoteers.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    may safety naman yan eh. automatic cut off kapag bumaba sa required pressure ang oil pump. mostly sa mga engine management system kasama sa safety features yon. kapag naikot ng more than 360*° deg ang crankshaft ng walang sumasabit. malaki ang chance na okey ang makina mo. minsan kase depende sa ganda ng langis mo yan eh. ganun muna ang first step. paikutin nila yung crankshaft. if okay lahat, malamang papalitan lang nila jan yung oil pan.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Zonda: possible din na di ko napansin yung low oil pressure warning. Actually nakatutok ako sa daan during that time kaya di ko gaano nakita.

Thanks batangtalyer for the reassurance

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    kung mawalan nang majority of the oil in the oil system, the engine temp will rise abruptly kasi majority of the cooling is provided by the engine oil... have you noticed whether the engine temp did rise after the initial bump with the rock under your car?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    *miko: i checked the temp gauge after the bump but it did not rise. Even after the engine stopped, the temp gauge was still a line below half so it did not overheat. The car is still parked at the Kia baguio and since it is still a holiday today here in baguio and the casa is still closed. i will still have to wait until tomorrow. I checked the car today ( it is parked outside and only the security guard is there to secure the place) and i still noticed traces of oil on the ground. I think there is still hope that there were no major internal damages to the engine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the inputs sirs..