New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2011
    Good day people.

I have this honda civic lxi model. And this is the scenario. At first the car have this overheat problems during long trips w/c leaves no water at the radiator. We removed the thermostat and have engine tuned up and no leaks were found in the radiator however we observed that when the car revs high, the water in the radiator pumps its water out to the reservoir little by little. After a week, the car would no longer start. It was found out that the valves were worn out so we change the valves and so the car finally went ok. Tune up was done and change oil too. Only to find out that it was already consuming too much fuel. From 12-13 km/liter, now 7-8 km/liter.. The car feels great naman. Tune up adjustment is 10-12 kasi noong 9-11 sya na mejo tumataas engine temp. Anong normal setting pala para makatipid?

My inquiry po:

What must have cause the poor fuel consumption?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi po,

I think we have the same issue, I have poor fuel consumption as well. I'm driving a civic vti. Together with that issue, I'm having an idle problem too. When ever I turn on A/C idle drops almost to 2000 rpm. Anyway I have a question po. What do you mean by 10-12 tune up adjustment and where do you have your car tuned up. TIA po. Btw newbie po ako.

Thanks in advance uli.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zeus_em View Post
    Hi po,

I think we have the same issue, I have poor fuel consumption as well. I'm driving a civic vti. Together with that issue, I'm having an idle problem too. When ever I turn on A/C idle drops almost to 2000 rpm. Anyway I have a question po. What do you mean by 10-12 tune up adjustment and where do you have your car tuned up. TIA po. Btw newbie po ako.

Thanks in advance uli.
    Sir you probably mean 200 RPM? The RPM drop is mostly caused by a bad or failing IACV. a.k.a Servo motor.

Good day people.

I have this honda civic lxi model. And this is the scenario. At first the car have this overheat problems during long trips w/c leaves no water at the radiator. We removed the thermostat and have engine tuned up and no leaks were found in the radiator however we observed that when the car revs high, the water in the radiator pumps its water out to the reservoir little by little. After a week, the car would no longer start. It was found out that the valves were worn out so we change the valves and so the car finally went ok. Tune up was done and change oil too. Only to find out that it was already consuming too much fuel. From 12-13 km/liter, now 7-8 km/liter.. The car feels great naman. Tune up adjustment is 10-12 kasi noong 9-11 sya na mejo tumataas engine temp. Anong normal setting pala para makatipid?

My inquiry po:

Sir it's possible that your valve clearances are not properly adjusted. Or timing might be a bit off. Those are the things you should check and your FC should improve.

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    ah yong numbers na 9-11 at 10-12 ay yong valve clearance kapag pinapa tune-up. mejo konti lang alam ko bout engine tune up. sa goodyear servitek po ako nagpapa tune up at change oil ng sasakyan. di ko lang alam what is the ideal valve clearance ng lxi model. since efi ang lxi and vti, dapat matipid eto kahit sa high way. i believe don lang sa valve clearance at timing ang difference. lakas kasi humatak kahit paakyat.

*zeus_em: Sir if your car has normal condition w/ out a/c, cguro sa aircon system ang difference. better let that be checked by an aircon mechanic. baka not related to engine or so. minsan kasi hindi gumagana ang aux fan ng aircon kaya nakaka apekto ng makina. nag rarattle ang engine. controlled kasi ng computer box. pero in your case ipa diagnose mo muna.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by akie_xu View Post
    ah yong numbers na 9-11 at 10-12 ay yong valve clearance kapag pinapa tune-up. mejo konti lang alam ko bout engine tune up. sa goodyear servitek po ako nagpapa tune up at change oil ng sasakyan. di ko lang alam what is the ideal valve clearance ng lxi model. since efi ang lxi and vti, dapat matipid eto kahit sa high way. i believe don lang sa valve clearance at timing ang difference. lakas kasi humatak kahit paakyat.

*zeus_em: Sir if your car has normal condition w/ out a/c, cguro sa aircon system ang difference. better let that be checked by an aircon mechanic. baka not related to engine or so. minsan kasi hindi gumagana ang aux fan ng aircon kaya nakaka apekto ng makina. nag rarattle ang engine. controlled kasi ng computer box. pero in your case ipa diagnose mo muna.
    +1 here. Same problem with my neighbor. Nasolve naman. Hindi ko na lang natanong ginawa ng mekaniko at nung electrician nila.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akie_xu View Post
    Good day people.

My inquiry po:

Removal of the thermostat = combustion is not at optimum temperature.....hindi namamaximize ang energy content ng gasoline....overheating na din ba yan on traffic? Had the same problem before prior to the installation of a thermostat.....

I usually tinker with my diesel (not that much on gas engines) but somehow they have similar operation except on fuelling.....

1. What oil grade used? ex. SAE 40, SAE 15W-40, etc.
    2. Re: valve clearances, from your post your valves are of the "solid" type (not automatic valve lash adjusters)...Were the factory specs (on the data plate under the hood) followed? As the saying goes, "it is better to err towards loose valves (greater clearance) than tight valves (lesser clearance)".
    3. Recheck timing belt tension and timing marks on crankshaft, distributor/HEI/etc ignition system and camshaft
    4. If yours is carbureted, recheck the idle speed (the soft brass screws could also be wornout). If fuel injected, recheck computer memory and other sensors involved....

HTH

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    your valve clearance should be 7/9. timing between 12-14 degrees.

you should not be overheating kung baguhin mo clearance mo unless something in the overhaul was done incorrectly.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Running an engine without a thermostat can really cause damage to your engine. This is what mechanics who just gain experience on the job repairing, who just throw away the thermostat instead of replacing it with a new one. Grave mistake of not replacing it with a new one. I recommend you buy from THK Auto Supply, TAMA brand thermostat as it is OEM of Japanese cars and much cheaper than the repack Honda and other brands. Remember thermostat are made by the Japanese for a reason, it is to provide efficient flow of the coolant when it is needed. It also maintains engine water temperature.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Natuwa naman ako sa eBook ng TAMA... specifically sa page 3 and 4

TRY_ENGLISH

Do not try playing baseball nga naman using the thermostat

10. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    Natuwa naman ako sa eBook ng TAMA... specifically sa page 3 and 4

TRY_ENGLISH

Do not try playing baseball nga naman using the thermostat

Japanese, Korean, and Chinese are not as good as Filipinos in english, because they prefer to speak in their own language. In Japan in order for any National to work there you must learn the Japanese language and must pass an exam before being able to work there.

TAMA Brand is a SALES branch company of Nippon Thermostat CO. which is the parent company of TAMA Enterprises. I know this kind of information because my friend is a supplier of brand new spare parts to auto supply retailers.

Poor fuel consumption after changing valves due to engine overheat.