New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: What do you think should be the engine temperature when draining motor oil?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Warm Engine

5 38.46%
  • Cold Engine

3 23.08%
  • Doesn't matter

5 38.46%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    voted doesnt matter ^_^
    i do it usually after 30 minutes (or more) naka park, mainit naman lagi so mag drain talaga ang oil.
    tapos pag patak patak nalang; i jackup passenger side, then driver side. yosi break, youtube, or kain muna bago punasan bago kabit drain bolt; next naman yung oil filter hehehe
    Yeah, either way 1% difference in the drained oil won't make much of a difference naman dito sa atin because medyo warm climate natin. Unlike in winter countries where it is better to warm the engine oil before draining it.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

2. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewise View Post
    When engine is cold, oil is thicker, thus, draining it when warm would be better as the motor oil is less viscous
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Di ba mas malapot pag mainit? San napunta yung 0w30?

*jakewise, pakisagot naman si bro yapoy; curious din ako kung ano sagot dyan

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    wether it be hot or cold its the same meron at meron pa din matitira, that's what oil filters are for they fllter out the gunks and what ever "residues" remain in the oil, besides kung regular ka naman mag change oil hindi yan (residues and gunks) kakapit sa paligid ng loob ng engine, imho

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Di ba mas malapot pag mainit? San napunta yung 0w30?
    From what I understand, viscosity decreases (thins) with increasing temperature and increases (or thickens) with decreased temperature irregardless of oil grade (0w-30). To better visualize viscosity, think of pouring pancake syrup from the bottle. At warmer temperatures, the syrup pours fast and easy, while at colder temperatures, it’s thicker and more difficult to get flowing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    May 2014
    From what I understand, viscosity decreases (thins) with increasing temperature and increases (or thickens) with decreased temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pero may winter rating, yun 1st number tulad ng nabanggit ni yapoy?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Mainit - malabnaw (manipis)
    Malamig - malapot (makapal)

regardless of the viscosity rating

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    pero may winter rating, yun 1st number tulad ng nabanggit ni yapoy?
    Yes, Multigrade oils must fulfill two viscosity specifications, their viscosity grade consists of two numbers, e.g. 10W-40: 10W refers to the low-temperature viscosity ("Winter"), 40 refers to the high-temperature viscosity ("Summer").

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Yes, Multigrade oils must fulfill two viscosity specifications, their viscosity grade consists of two numbers, e.g. 10W-40: 10W refers to the low-temperature viscosity ("Winter"), 40 refers to the high-temperature viscosity ("Summer").
    Wrong.

"40" is the oil viscosity at engine operating temp (≈100°C)

9. Join Date
    Sep 2018
    I think the best would be if your engine temperature is warm when draining oil. DIY oil change is not an easy task as it requires enough tools and skills. You just need to know the proper procedure to avoid any mistakes. Draining your oil also requires proper disposal to avoid the mess in your area. However, it's still best to bring your car to your trusted car shop if you're still hesitant about the process to avoid any problems that would affect other parts of your vehicle and lessen its functionality. Hope this helps!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Wrong.

"40" is the oil viscosity at engine operating temp (≈100°C)
    The manual states atmospheric temperature not the engine temperature20191018_173855-2.jpg

Be careful changing oil while the engine is hot..dripping hot oil could scald you

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kisshmet; October 18th, 2019 at 06:50 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast