New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    So I was looking for online prices in the US of K&N stuff, then I saw this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index....d=66&Itemid=76

The test results show that paper filter is the best when it comes to the task of limiting particulates to the engine. K&N however let a LOT of particulates in.

To K&N users, have you ever had a problem? What do you guys think of this test (and its revelations)?

What is the effect of particulates getting inside the engine? Will it pose a serious problem or is it something that can be fixed in a snap?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    air filters that are supposed to let more air in compared to stock (like K&N) use filter material with bigger holes

nothing to worry about

it takes more than particulates to harm an engine

before (the Libis days) i would drive around with no air filter

one headlight removed, air goes directly into the air intake tube

the faster i drive, the more air gets rammed into the intake, the more power i get (fun )

did that for quite a while

no damage to the engine

put the filter and headlight back when i sold the car

hehe

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    wet type filters(oiled like k&n) are harmful not with the engine but with the maf sensor. some people have these problems some dont. pero personally ok yan!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Hopefully I won't have a problem with mine. Just had one installed w/ my brothers 1.3 verita. K&N filter with their own(speedlab)tube.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I have stopped using K&N filters and prefer a dry element filter like Volant and others that don't require oiling.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I use AEM dryflow synthetic air filter . No need to oil and it has a 99.4 % filtering ability.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I just uninstalled my SX8 City's K&N cold air intake set. More than a year kong ginamit ito. Ibinalik ko yung orig na config using an OEM filter. Why?

1. hirap mag-10km/ltr sa city driving (it used to be 10-12km/ltr before I installed the K&N CAI). Unacceptable because the engine is only 1300 EFI;
    2. during rainy days, kung minsan ay taas-baba ang RPM ko sa cold starts. Some say it is common amongst CAI users pag basa o malamig ang panahon;
    3. at medyo naging "offensive" ang amoy ng exhaust/emission nito.

*Kung maintenance ang paguusapan, istrikto ako pagdating dito. I never missed the scheduled maintenance checkup/services for my cars.

** I tried to drive it "by the book" pero talagang below 10km/ltr sa city driving. OK naman sa hiway kasi kaya nitong mag 14-15km/ltr.

I'll keep you posted on whatever results I can get . . .
    Last edited by jjmd3_787; September 24th, 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: tao lang po ...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    there was this test about aftermarket air filters..k&n didnt have good results,same with hks which is also famous..but APexi got the best results in filtering and performance...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Aftermarket filters will never filter as well as the stock paper filter. Not a huge deal... just watch your oil and clean your filter regularly. Some guys even run carbs with open stacks on their cars.

If a filter and CAI affect your fuel economy, then the MAF adapter is sized wrong. That's why I always use the stock MAF housing, no matter what other mods I do to the intake.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmd3_787 View Post
    I just uninstalled my SX8 City's K&N cold air intake set. More than a year kong ginamit ito. Ibinalik ko yung orig na config using an OEM filter. Why?

1. hirap mag-10km/ltr sa city driving (it used to be 10-12km/ltr before I installed the K&N CAI). Unacceptable because the engine is only 1300 EFI;
    2. during rainy days, kung minsan ay taas-baba ang RPM ko sa cold starts. Some say it is common amongst CAI users pag basa o malamig ang panahon;
    3. at medyo naging "offensive" ang amoy ng exhaust/emission nito.

*Kung maintenance ang paguusapan, istrikto ako pagdating dito. I never missed the scheduled maintenance checkup/services for my cars.

** I tried to drive it "by the book" pero talagang below 10km/ltr sa city driving. OK naman sa hiway kasi kaya nitong mag 14-15km/ltr.

I'll keep you posted on whatever results I can get . . .

After a 6-day period observation, I was able to obtain the following results:
    1. my FC is back to 10.5km/ltr city driving;
    2. the RPM is always stable even in cold starts during this past rainy days;
    3. emission odor is less offensive.

I guess I'll have to stick with OEM filters from now on. Sayang lang yung 5K+ na K&N CAI ko. Same goes to my other car na naka-Simota (carousel-type na pang-carb) naman. Nakakadismaya.
    Last edited by jjmd3_787; September 30th, 2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: tao lang po ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Performance Air Filters like K&N, harmful?