New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Question lang po mga tsikoteers, mas fuel efficient ba when heating (during a cold start) an automatic tranny while in neutral, or park, or parehas lang? Pansin ko kasi parang ang lakas sa gas when heating my engine in the morning..let's say for 5 days I heat the engine for 5 minutes/day bale halos half a bar na ang nacoconsume..normal ba yun for automatics?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticIce View Post
    Question lang po mga tsikoteers, mas fuel efficient ba when heating (during a cold start) an automatic tranny while in neutral, or park, or parehas lang? Pansin ko kasi parang ang lakas sa gas when heating my engine in the morning..let's say for 5 days I heat the engine for 5 minutes/day bale halos half a bar na ang nacoconsume..normal ba yun for automatics?
    Typical for me, I just start the engine, let it idle for a few seconds to circulate the engine oil then shift it into "D". I drive off slowly until the engine has warmed up to "normal" temperature.

I don't let it idle for too long to avoid wasting fuel.

If I don't use the car, I don't even start the car in the morning to warm up the engine. Wastes fuel.

There is no such thing as being more "fuel efficient" when the car is just sitting there with the engine idling for five minutes or more, just to warm up the engine. It is still considered as 0 km/L because it doesn't go anywhere.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    You should start the car in park and not neutral and why are you wasting fuel by idling so long? You shouldn't be idling so long, you have a modern car not an old one that needs to warm up that long. Also once you are moving you are also able to warm up your ATF and not just your engine. There are places in the US(Denver to name one) where you can get a ticket for idling in your drive way because you are wasting fuel and causing more pollution.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Typical for me, I just start the engine, let it idle for a few seconds to circulate the engine oil then shift it into "D". I drive off slowly until the engine has warmed up to "normal" temperature.

I don't let it idle for too long to avoid wasting fuel.

If I don't use the car, I don't even start the car in the morning to warm up the engine. Wastes fuel.

There is no such thing as being more "fuel efficient" when the car is just sitting there with the engine idling for five minutes or more, just to warm up the engine. It is still considered as 0 km/L because it doesn't go anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    You should start the car in park and not neutral and why are you wasting fuel by idling so long? You shouldn't be idling so long, you have a modern car not an old one that needs to warm up that long. Also once you are moving you are also able to warm up your ATF and not just your engine. There are places in the US(Denver to name one) where you can get a ticket for idling in your drive way because you are wasting fuel and causing more pollution.
    *redorange: Pasensya po, first time car owner lang (and what I meant by the park/neutral thing is that should I switch to neutral after starting the car from park)

Salamat po sa mga sagot! Turo lang po kasi ng tatay ko sa akin yang warm up regimen pero napansin ko lang na malakas magconsume ng gas. Weekend car ko lang kasi to..so it's safe to say kahit every saturday ko lang to gamitin and leave it off for the rest of the week hindi siya mas mabilis masisira (again, a bit of information handed down by my father)?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticIce View Post
    Salamat po sa mga sagot! Turo lang po kasi ng tatay ko sa akin yang warm up regimen pero napansin ko lang na malakas magconsume ng gas. Weekend car ko lang kasi to..so it's safe to say kahit every saturday ko lang to gamitin and leave it off for the rest of the week hindi siya mas mabilis masisira (again, a bit of information handed down by my father)?
    Assuming the car is driven enough to recharge the battery during the weekends, it should be fine.

Some cars fully discharge their battery if you don't drive it for a few days. Hopefully this isn't your car.

But one concern if you don't use the car that often is the gasoline. E10 gasoline can spoil in the fuel tank if it is not used within 3 or 4 weeks. This results in poor performance or even a rough running engine. At worst, the engine will not even start.

You can avoid this problem by either using gasoline without E10 or only have a small amount of E10 gasoline in your tank so it is used up in less than 3 or 4 weeks.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    iyong mga lumang sasakyan, medyo nanganga-ilangan ng warm up, pero sa mga bago-bago, pag start, puwede ng lumarga. pero habang hindi ma naabot ang operating temp, hinay hinay muna. mag mainit na kasi ang makina, maganda na ang circulation ng langis sa loob ng makina.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    ----------

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But one concern if you don't use the car that often is the gasoline. E10 gasoline can spoil in the fuel tank if it is not used within 3 or 4 weeks. This results in poor performance or even a rough running engine. At worst, the engine will not even start.

You can avoid this problem by either using gasoline without E10 or only have a small amount of E10 gasoline in your tank so it is used up in less than 3 or 4 weeks.
    Oh, that just sucks. Plano ko pa naman sana paabutin ng 2 months ang isang full tank. May E10 ba ang Petron Extra Unleaded? Anong fuel ang walang E10?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by eld View Post
    Oh, that just sucks. Plano ko pa naman sana paabutin ng 2 months ang isang full tank. May E10 ba ang Petron Extra Unleaded? Anong fuel ang walang E10?
    All Shell gasoline have E10.

Petron Blaze has no E10. Petron XCS already has E10.

Total Protec has no E10.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    hmmm...

Why is it in the morning (and the engine is cold), the car idles up when in park?

Should I wait for the idle to go to normal? or pwede na ba ako mag D right after starting even if malamig pa yung makina?

Not too familiar with A/T s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Park or neutral when cold starting an automatic?