New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I know there are several threads on change oil but here's my dilemma....

We are expected to change oil every 5,000km which is fine. If one average 10,000 a year so at least twice ang oil change.

However, what if you still logged 10,000 kilometers but you own 4 vehicles and in a year di umabot sa 5,000 km yong apat.

Now, several threads here have indicated the "5,000 km or 3 months whichever occurs earlier" rule. In that case, would the 4 oil changes/year per vehicle seems outrageous?

These vehicles do not frequently experience so-called "engine stress" episodes...no stop and go trafffic, no long engine idles, no dusty road conditions, etc.

The maxim "change the oil when it turns black" seems to be very subjective to be a guide as oils have different characteristics.

Btw, were are talking about the mineral-based oils.

Please help clarify.....

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    i don't believe in outrageous oil change frequency when it comes to changing oil and engine life. frequent oil changes means healthier engines. but include the budget in the equation and yeah, it may become outrageous.

in my case, my car is used daily for short city driving mostly so i don't accumulate the 5000 kms, so stick to the 3-month rule of oil change. if i have 3 more vehicles i rotate on using, i'd still stick with that rule, or maybe stretch it to 4 months. i think vehicles not being used often require more frequent oil changes than those daily driver (i read somewhere).

3. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    i don't believe in outrageous oil change frequency when it comes to changing oil and engine life. frequent oil changes means healthier engines. but include the budget in the equation and yeah, it may become outrageous.

in my case, my car is used daily for short city driving mostly so i don't accumulate the 5000 kms, so stick to the 3-month rule of oil change. if i have 3 more vehicles i rotate on using, i'd still stick with that rule, or maybe stretch it to 4 months. i think vehicles not being used often require more frequent oil changes than those daily driver (i read somewhere).

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The "3 month or 5,000 km rule" is being imposed by the car manufacturers. Aside from business reason, I think there's a technical reason/s for this.

Outrageous? If one could afford four cars, I believe he has a budget for at least 4 change oil per year per car.

I, myself, don't follow the "3-month rule" but always adhere to the 5,000 km rule. But there's a big risk on this. If something bad happened to your engine, the manufacturer could invoke non-coverage from warranty for breaching this rule. Fortunately, nothing happened bad to my engines.

You could gamble too.

:eat: [SIZE="1"]3719[/SIZE]
    Last edited by j_avonni; September 24th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    it's twice a year for me. with less than 4000 kms in 6 months, i change oil and filter (overnight draining) on the registration month and another 6 months after
    Last edited by XTO; September 24th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You can always change your oil twice a year. it will be the same with what you said. "We are expected to change oil every 5,000km which is fine. If one average 10,000 a year so at least twice ang oil change."

On my Toyota, I change the oil 2 times a year and was able to claim warranty for a minor engine problem. No question from the dealer.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ang sulosyon sa apat na rides, eh benta nalang ang iba.

before I learned how to drive, my bro changes oil once a year, sometimes even longer... hindi pa palit oil filter, and fuel filter like never.

but I don't recall any problems with those rides later. I recall my first time having it serviced for a fuel filter change of a subic ride after 3 years when it was bought. the filter was really dirty daw said the mechanic, one of the dirtiest fuel filter he have ever seen. he asked me was i having morning hard starts. I said never. the starting was even quicker than most brand new cars.

Imo, though nothing bad happened to those rides, we will never know what's happening inside the engine. so I will follow what the car designers says.

now, I follow 5000 km for oil change and stick magnets in the oil filter.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako its either 5k or 3 months whichever goes first.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my lancer, bought in 2001, has only 48000 km on it. i change the oil very year using fully synthetic oil. although it's my wife's daily drive now it still only averages 6000km/yr, very much less the 10000km recommended oil change interval for fully synthetic oil. even when it was still under warranty i changed the oil only every year.

our starex, bought last year, only has 4700 km on it. the casa service manager called me last month asking if i would like to change the oil already since, as he said, their prediction as to mileage says the van is near the 5000 km mark already. i told them not yet, maybe this month and they said ok. curiousity led me to ask since they predicted the mileage on the van, i asked if there is any effect on the warranty if the oil change is done at long time intervals (i.e., 1 year). the service manager said it was ok as long as i have the service done in the casa (as if we have a choice when warranty is at stake no?). anyway he said as long as oil is changed every 5000 km it's ok. never mind the every 6 months thing if the oil in use is semi-synthetic, or better if fully synthetic. and of course, if it is done at the casa.

3 months? where did you guys get that? as long as i can remember it is 5000 km or 6 months, whichever comes first.
    Last edited by yebo; September 24th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    Outrageous? If one could afford four cars, I believe he has a budget for at least 4 change oil per year per car.
    But its very hard to shell out money for something not really pragmatic or practical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Papano kung hindi umabot ng 5,000 km?