New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    mga Gurus,

Tanong lang, i went to work this morning and then I checked the hood and remove Oil dip stick while engine is running, when I did that then the oil overflow dun sa lalagyan ng stick. Is it supposed to happen, or something is wrong with the engine internals?

By the way, oil level is a little above the max level of dipstick upon last check.

Salamat in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check oil level first baka overfill lang. kung normal ang oil level then...

1.) tumatalsik din ba ang oil sa oil fill hole? open the oil filler cap and run engine at idle, check no oil is coming out with noticeable blow-by gasses.
    2.) run engine at 1200-1500 rpm, you should be able to hold the pressure with your hands (note: cold engine NOT hot, otherwise you burn your hands).

kung meron, malamang blow-by na. pa-compression test mo for sure.

wala naman turbo yan ano, 4ja1? another possible cause of blow-by for turboed engine is a damaged turbo. pag worn na ang bushings pwede pumasok yung compressed air or exhaust gas sa oil return line causing the crankcase to be pressurized.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    --- Removed---
    Mas comprehensive explanation ni Yebo :-)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    syempre may langis na lalabas dun sa lagayan ng dip stick eh umaandar engine mo eh... remember diesel engines run under high compression talagang may langis na tatalsik dyan.. at saka san mo nakita sa kahit anong owners manual na hugutin ang dip stick while engine is running??

yung blow-by normal din sa diesel yan at kahit anong engine.. may blow-by gas talaga.. sa crank case ventilator nadaan yung blow by gas. nung buksan mo yung dipstick, nakahanap ng ibang pwedeng daanan yung blow-by gas kaya tumalsik yung langis

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ sorry no, not normal. you should be able to remove the engine dip stick with the engine running and oil should not come out of the dip stick tube. some dip sticks even have 2 sets of marks, 1 set hi/lo for engine stop, 1 set hi/lo for engine running.

add ko lang sa taas, i forgot e. i mentioned earlier to check if the oil level is normal (when engine is stopped for at least 10 minutes). kasi if over filled with oil the crankshaft may be hitting the oil surface and cause the oil to froth, thus causing oil to overflow through the dip stick.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    one more thing to check lalo na kung minimal ang blow by, check the hose from the cylinder head cover to the air intake. baka sakali barado lang.

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    a bit OT: recently may pinalitan akong head gasket ng nissan bd25. when i checked for blowby via the oil cap, nahirapan ako tanggalin habang umaandar (due to suction). tapos nahirapan din akong ibalik yung oil cap habang umaandar (due to positive pressure). kumbaga alternating yung suction at positive pressure. hindi naman tumatalsik yung langis sa oil cap tsaka dipstick tube. malakas na hangin lang ba.

wala naman akong compression gage to check for compression, ring wear, leaks, etc.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    ventilation01.png

Thanks sa mga nag reply.

Here is what happened before the overflow happened.

I check the ventilation hose from camshaft cover (image attached) going to intake disconnected it from intake inlet port, I noticed, medyo merong presure going out from the inlet of the intake, i thought it supposed to suck air kasi diba mag produce ng vacuum supposedly and intake, so I just covered it, then disconnect the hose from cam cover or yung ventilation, tinapalan ko lang ng tela, travelled 4 KM, yun, pag park ko, not turning off the engine, tiningnan ko kung anong nangyayarin dun sa tinapalan ko, and notice parang lumubo yung tela, so I just cut it para makalabas yung hangin, then i dunno why I was tempted to check the dipstick , I removed it, habang umaandar makina, yun parang natangal na gripo, bumulwak ang oil.. could it be a pressure buildup?

btw, now, i put back the ventilation hose to original setting.

lesson talaga, do not remove that thing (dipstick) if engine is on. Isa pa, tama yung mentioned, medyo overfilled nga yung oil, yun din cguro onc factor on bulwak..

9. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    --- Removed---
    Mas comprehensive explanation ni Yebo :-)
    Well said..