New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Guys,

i think i have to decide now that the ride has been dissected.

its a choice now between reboring the block to the next step that is 0.25 rebore or should i go and releeve it with a clinder liner/sleeve?

what are the pros and cons in each step?

ride : 08 model Kimchi SUV Diesel
    Cylinder #1 me tama/kamot na anlaki ng uga so no choice but to bring it down.

pls help guys

2. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Kimchi? Korean?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    TS, resleeving is definitely expensive as it involves reboring several times until the piston ring fits perfectly to brandnew sleeve. ask your trusted mechanic if the cylinder could still be rebored to maximum oversize. another option is to buy brandnew cylinder, less gray hair but it's the most expensive of all. hope it helps
    Last edited by kimbon; October 25th, 2015 at 05:46 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Yes sir its Korean

I am torn between two choices ,it's either to rebore it to oversize of 0.25 or resleeve it .
    Piston and rings are already out of the question since papalitan naman talaga either way kasi one piston was already chipped . So palit na talaga
    As I understand kasi, mas lesser yun total cost pag rebore kasi no need for sleeve and bawas charge yun machine shop.

My concern na Lang Siguro is durability between the two since I plan to keep it for another 5 years .
    Pls advise bros. thanks

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Is it 0.25 mm over size? Are the bores cast iron?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Its the first Time to be rebored so standard to 0.25 or i resleeve it . You mean the engine block is cast iron sir jick?hmmm not so sure .

Medyo less cost yun direct so na Lang o.25 kasi no need for sleeve just deretso sa rebore/honing na agad

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    if cylinders #2-4 are still within the std bore, I would just re-sleeve cylinder #1 and bore it to std specs. If the OEM sleeve is thick, then probably reboring it to a slightly bigger size is the next best thing to do. but if the OEM sleeve is thin, then i would not advice reboring to bigger size as internal combustion heat can crack the thinned out sleeve overtime

8. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    if cylinders #2-4 are still within the std bore, I would just re-sleeve cylinder #1 and bore it to std specs. If the OEM sleeve is thick, then probably reboring it to a slightly bigger size is the next best thing to do. but if the OEM sleeve is thin, then i would not advice reboring to bigger size as internal combustion heat can crack the thinned out sleeve overtime
    hmmmm another option siguro to consider yung ina advise nyo , but liner/sleeve and piston is purchased by set of 4 di ba? so ang masisave ko lang is the machine shop cost of #2~4 cylinders di ba? yung 0.25 rebore i think is still medyo manipis pa naman yun ibbawas sa block di ba?
    on the point ng power and fuel consumption kaya malaki kaya ang difference?
    durability wise kaya pareho lang ang rebore compared to resleeve?
    ano magandang brand ng sleeve/liner? or OEM talaga dapat?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    hmmmm another option siguro to consider yung ina advise nyo , but liner/sleeve and piston is purchased by set of 4 di ba? so ang masisave ko lang is the machine shop cost of #2~4 cylinders di ba? yung 0.25 rebore i think is still medyo manipis pa naman yun ibbawas sa block di ba?
    on the point ng power and fuel consumption kaya malaki kaya ang difference?
    durability wise kaya pareho lang ang rebore compared to resleeve?
    ano magandang brand ng sleeve/liner? or OEM talaga dapat?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by threx666 View Post
    Guys,

i think i have to decide now that the ride has been dissected.

its a choice now between reboring the block to the next step that is 0.25 rebore or should i go and releeve it with a clinder liner/sleeve?

what are the pros and cons in each step?

ride : 08 model Kimchi SUV Diesel
    Cylinder #1 me tama/kamot na anlaki ng uga so no choice but to bring it down.

pls help guys
    hindi nga lang sa diesel engine sir.

yung toyota corolla namin (2E engine), nagpa rebore kami (+0.75mm sa std size)

pros:

-perfect fit yung piston rings, hindi masyado kailangang hasain (honing)
    -wala yung overheat issue na common sa newly overhauled engine na hindi nag rebore, yung pure honing lang ang ginawa para mag fit yung piston rings
    -mas mura magpa rebore kesa magpa re-sleeve (sa re-sleeve kasi, press-in/press-out ng cylinder liner, plus ibo-bore din siya ng kaunti kasi hindi din perfect yung cylinder liner. o baka depende din sa engine (kindly correct me if ii'm wrong)

cons:
    -gastos lang

almost 7 years na din nung na overhaul, hanggang ngayon, ok na ok pa din. replacement brand lang ang ginamit namin sa piston rings, conrod bearings, piston set, etc... pero toyota OEM yung overhauling gasket set.

tska kung 0.25mm lang ang irerebore, napaka nipis lang nun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast