New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    So I have a car that is making a squeaky noise. The mechanic suggested I change my vibration damper. The original was too expensive, so I bought a cheap Chinese replacement. It was a bit heavier than the original. Then when it was installed. The sound went back to normal. After around 4 days, there was a squeaky and loud rough noise. Upon having it checked by 2 mechanics, they said it was the belt tensioner. The first mechanic proved it to me by using a wrench and tightening the system, and the noise went away. So I bought a tensioner and had it replaced. Now there's another sound. It's very different from the sounds before. It was whiny. I had it checked again and was told the compressor needs replacing soon. The mechanic told me that I should just wait for it to die, and that the compressor wouldn't affect the engine, only the AC.

There is also a squeaky noise from the belt during start. But when the engine gets going, it disappears. So I went to an AC store to have the compressor checked. I was told that it was still okay, but the pulley is wrattling, and that I needed to tighten the belt or replace it.

I was wondering. Did the heavy vibration damper cause this?

Or did the other parts start dying down because of the tension from the stronger newly replaced vibration damper?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Chief View Post
    So I have a car that is making a squeaky noise. The mechanic suggested I change my vibration damper. The original was too expensive, so I bought a cheap Chinese replacement. It was a bit heavier than the original. Then when it was installed. The sound went back to normal. After around 4 days, there was a squeaky and loud rough noise. Upon having it checked by 2 mechanics, they said it was the belt tensioner. The first mechanic proved it to me by using a wrench and tightening the system, and the noise went away. So I bought a tensioner and had it replaced. Now there's another sound. It's very different from the sounds before. It was whiny. I had it checked again and was told the compressor needs replacing soon. The mechanic told me that I should just wait for it to die, and that the compressor wouldn't affect the engine, only the AC.

There is also a squeaky noise from the belt during start. But when the engine gets going, it disappears. So I went to an AC store to have the compressor checked. I was told that it was still okay, but the pulley is wrattling, and that I needed to tighten the belt or replace it.

I was wondering. Did the heavy vibration damper cause this?

Or did the other parts start dying down because of the tension from the stronger newly replaced vibration damper?
    what is this vehicle, and how old is it?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    what is this vehicle, and how old is it?
    It's a 2007 E90.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Chief View Post
    It's a 2007 E90.
    ah!
    mahal.
    hands off ako diyan.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ah!
    mahal.
    hands off ako diyan.
    Kaya nga risk ko na magka Alzheimers. Kasi ibang sakit rin naman ibibigay ng presyo ng maintenance ng BMW.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    If it's a torn rubber damper, one can fill the voids up w/ polyurethane sealant. Once cured, it'll be just a tad firmer than OE.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    An engine vibration damper shouldn't have any effect on the accessory belt or any of the accessories (pulleys, A/C compressor, alternator, etc.).

What's happening I think is that, when you replaced the engine damper, the overall engine vibration and the resulting noise disappeared, allowing you to notice the other noises the engine is making.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    And probably the other way around, the faulty tensioner was the one that caused damage to the dampener, the vibrations from the jumping belt caused the fluctuating forces on the dampener.

Yang serpentine belt ang isa sa lagi dapat inaalagaan. Once the belt starts to vibrate your wallet will go empty very fast if you do not change what needs changing right away. Dami nakakabit dyan na pwede masira pag napabayaan.
    Last edited by yebo; March 30th, 2019 at 05:28 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    try to use OEM replacement parts. they are the same exact bmw part only branded differently i.e. valeo, bosch, lemforder etc.

it will be hard for me to guess what is causing your noise pero as a previous e90 owner i hope this info might help. in my case unang bumigay yun one of the coils followed next electric water pump (intermittent) then alternator bearing. yung bearing ang may noise.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Kasi ibang sakit rin naman ibibigay ng presyo ng maintenance ng BMW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is it okay to replace the vibration damper with an aftermarket that is heavier than original?