New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    I have been reading about oil recommendations in various forums however most recommendations will be "Follow your owner's manual." However to me that is not enough. It is a given that not all oils are created equal. What if I want to give my engine a real treat? Like putting an oil that exceeds manufacturer specs? Most modern gasoline and diesel cars usually recommend engine oils with viscosity ratings of 5w-30 or 5w-40 that meet certain API or ACEA standards. Manufacturer also uses that catch all phrase "...or better", "meets or exceeds specifications", etc.

My question now is which of these standards is more stringent? Especially when it comes to diesels? Or is there a more stringent set of standards to follow?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    API is an American standard, ACEA is a European standard. Neither is more stringent than the other. In the Philippines, because of our American influence, most oils are referred to by their API standard. However, all oils sold locally have both API and ACEA ratings on their label.

Now, if you wanna get good oil, then just get SN oil. Lower viscosity is not always better, but a higher API rating is. And currently, the high-end synthetics sold in our market are all SN.

Oh, and "diesel-engine" oil is just marketing. You can use Delo for your gasoline engine and Helix for your diesel engine if you like.

Like fuels, a lot of the segmentation in lubes is just marketing. However, it's true that synthetics are more tolerant to a wider range of operating conditions, and that higher API/ACEA ratings mean that the oil has passed a more stringent set of tests from the automative governing bodies. And unlike in fuels where the additives are just about 1% of the total composition, lubes additives are about 20% so different brands do make a more noticeable difference.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Delo is great with lots of cleaning agents. Pwede talaga sa gasoline? Any experience

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub View Post
    Delo is great with lots of cleaning agents. Pwede talaga sa gasoline? Any experience
    Sa motor ko nga gamit ko yan, kotse pa. hehe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    The recommendation "Follow your owner's manual." is actually correct as it provides the minimum API or ACEA rating appropriate for your particular engine model. This does not automatically mean that you should stick to the minimum. API ratings are backward compatible. Example: If you have a car that requires API SL, you can also use oil with API SM or SN. If you have a car that requires API SM, you can also use oil with API SN.

API ratings for Gasoline engine

API SN (Current) - Introduced in Nov 2010
    API SM (Current) - Introduced in Nov 2004
    API SL (Still current but nearly obsolete) - Introduced in 1998
    API SJ (Still current but nearly obsolete) - Introduced in 1996
    API SH (Obsolete) - For model year 1996 and older engines

API ratings for Diesel engine

API CJ-4 (Current) - Introduced in 2006
    API CI-4 (Current) - Introduced in 2002
    API CH-4 (Current) - Introduced in 1998
    API CG-4 (Current) - Introduced in 1995
    API CF-4 (Current) - Introduced in 1990

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The recommendation "Follow your owner's manual." is actually correct as it provides the minimum API or ACEA rating appropriate for your particular engine model. This does not automatically mean that you should stick to the minimum. API ratings are backward compatible. Example: If you have a car that requires API SL, you can also use oil with API SM or SN. If you have a car that requires API SM, you can also use oil with API SN.

API ratings for Gasoline engine

API SN (Current) - Introduced in Nov 2010
    API SM (Current) - Introduced in Nov 2004
    API SL (Still current but nearly obsolete) - Introduced in 1998
    API SJ (Still current but nearly obsolete) - Introduced in 1996
    API SH (Obsolete) - For model year 1996 and older engines

API ratings for Diesel engine

API CJ-4 (Current) - Introduced in 2006
    API CI-4 (Current) - Introduced in 2002
    API CH-4 (Current) - Introduced in 1998
    API CG-4 (Current) - Introduced in 1995
    API CF-4 (Current) - Introduced in 1990

6. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    The confusion that I encounter is as regards oils that rated as follows:API SN/CF, ACEA C3.

Usual recommendations here is to use CJ-4 rated oils for Diesel engines with DPF, however if we stick to the API rating, the above oil is below par CJ-4 standard but under ACEA it is rated C3 and are safe to use with DPF equipped vehicles. Which is which?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Sa Grand Starex ko may DPF. I use CI-4. May nabasa ako dati na hindi recommended CJ-4 para sa high sulfure content na fuel.
    Nakakalito din minsan yan API at ACEA pero ako API sinusunod ko.
    Sa Manual ng starex nakalagay na CH-4 or ACEA A3/B4 minimum. Pero may oil ako nakikita na CF-4 pero ACEA A3/B4. Kaya CI-4 hinahanap ko lagi na oil

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggerx3 View Post
    Sa Grand Starex ko may DPF. I use CI-4. May nabasa ako dati na hindi recommended CJ-4 para sa high sulfure content na fuel.
    Sa Manual ng starex nakalagay na CH-4 or ACEA A3/B4 minimum. Pero may oil ako nakikita na CF-4 pero ACEA A3/B4. Kaya CI-4 hinahanap ko lagi na oil
    Madaming fully synthetic and semi-synthetic na marketed for diesels na API SN/CF or API SM/CF lang.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerx3 View Post
    Madaming fully synthetic and semi-synthetic na marketed for diesels na API SN/CF or API SM/CF lang.