New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hello !

My ride is a corolla 2k xl 1.3 carb type 2e engine.

All 4 spark plugs have oil on the threads but not on the tips.

I read thru previous posts and many have solved this situation by replacing the spark plug oil seals.

I was planning to have them replaced just this morning. I went to the auto repair shop and I was advised by the mechanic that the particular engine doesnt have any spark plug oil seals.

The obvious question is : do some engines (like mine) *NOT* have spark plug oil seals ? If not, is oil on the threads normal for my corolla 2e engine?

Thanks in advance guys for your inputs.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoteng View Post
    Hello !

My ride is a corolla 2k xl 1.3 carb type 2e engine.

All 4 spark plugs have oil on the threads but not on the tips.

I read thru previous posts and many have solved this situation by replacing the spark plug oil seals.

I was planning to have them replaced just this morning. I went to the auto repair shop and I was advised by the mechanic that the particular engine doesnt have any spark plug oil seals.

The obvious question is : do some engines (like mine) *NOT* have spark plug oil seals ? If not, is oil on the threads normal for my corolla 2e engine?

Thanks in advance guys for your inputs.

what you are talking about are spark plug tube seals or grommets that fit between the tube and the vlave cover. 2E engines are 12 valve engines that have spark plugs on the side of the side of the cylinder head above the exhaust manifold. the valve cover gasket if leaking, will soak the spark plug exterior

oil on sparks, no oil seal ?