New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chiefs!

My humble ride is a Corolla 95 XL, bigbody with 2E engine. My concern is that during mornings, after I start the engine, it would take 30 seconds (sometime more) before the oil lamp shuts-off, and along with the oil light indicator, a "thuck-thuck" sound can be heard. Once the oil indicator shuts-off, the sound also lessens or disappears. With my previous cars, once your start the engine, it would only take about 2 to 3 seconds then the light shuts-off. My worry is that maybe something is wrong with my lubrication system which might affect the whole engine. Can you please help me of what can be the possible causes to the pump abnormalities?

Thank you very much for the suggestions and replies. More Power!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    have your car's lubrication system checked asap. i've seen a honda city 02 model in which its oil pump failed... ayun katok ang makina... oil lamp indicates low oil pressure... low oil pressure is bad news for your engine.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Thank you for your response Sir Rusem. I'll have it checked by a mechanic ASAP. I'm just thingking, of what possible causes of the "Low oil pressure" be, can it be a clogged suction strainer, Mechanical pump, or the oil pressure switch itself? I just replaced the oil and oil filter a month ago and it seems still has the same indication.

Thanks for your reply, Chief!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Before doing drastic steps, why don't you check your engine oil first? When oil is due, it would take time for it to flow freely. Try changing to fully synt oil.

Whenever there is a low oil pressure it could be the oil pump or the main engine bearing.

Hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    share ko lang yun ginawa ko,remove the oil filler cap then start the engine,slowly dip your middle finger(careful hindi sasayad sa metal parts)then you can feel the oil pressure kung malakas ba coz oil will be splashing inside enough to get your finger wet with oil.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Thank you for your response Sir Rusem. I'll have it checked by a mechanic ASAP. I'm just thingking, of what possible causes of the "Low oil pressure" be, can it be a clogged suction strainer, Mechanical pump, or the oil pressure switch itself? I just replaced the oil and oil filter a month ago and it seems still has the same indication.

Thanks for your reply, Chief!
    1. Wrong oil grade
    2. Faulty lubrication system, check strainer and suction pipe for cracks, weak oil pump, etc.
    3. Worn main and/or connecting rod bearings, worn out crankshaft journals

Take an oil sample from the crankcase and check for metal particles. Worn crankshaft bearings will cause an oil pressure drop. You can temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see your true pressure.

Oil Pump Concern