New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    mga sir i think i need your help ang oto ko ay 98 gli lovelife it was general overhauled a year ago, but the problem now is that may lumalabas na oil at laging basa ang tambutso ng oto maitim pa, and may vibration na pag nsa loob ka. Ano po ba dapat ipaayos, any suggestion po kng san may magaling na shop at mpagkakatiwalaan, I`m from project 2, Q.C.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toquints View Post
    mga sir i think i need your help ang oto ko ay 98 gli lovelife it was general overhauled a year ago, but the problem now is that may lumalabas na oil at laging basa ang tambutso ng oto maitim pa, and may vibration na pag nsa loob ka. Ano po ba dapat ipaayos, any suggestion po kng san may magaling na shop at mpagkakatiwalaan, I`m from project 2, Q.C.
    dapat di mo pina-overhaul

sabi kasi ng isang car expert umaabot daw ng 20 years ang makina no overhaul

http://tsikot.com/forums/engine-fuel...erhauls-81859/
    in just a few months i have been lingering in this website, i have seen a lot of discussions of engine top and major overhauls. today's cars and engines are designed way above the cars that needed frequent visits to the crusty "mechanic" for tune up around 20000 miles, valve adjustment every six months, decarbonize combustion chambers every now and then and the list goes on. sure these "mechanics" need to earn a living, but your engine's metallurgy, design, engineering and expected endurance has far improved. there is absolutely no need to overhaul your engine for at least 15 years if you follow the maintenance schedule, use the recommended fluids and refrain from tampering the car specially if you don't have the knowledge, skills and the tools necessary to do tasks above oil changes, spark plug replacement or air filter replacement. that's why some car manufacturers use tamper resistant fasteners in fact, some cvt equipped cars do not provide you a dipstick nor a provision to add the wrong fluid.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by toquints View Post
    why was it overhauled last year? any problems?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Malas. Possible masama lang ang mga gaskets na ginamit dyan. Worse, cracked ang cylinder head dahil di tama torque ang ginamit sa mga head nuts or maling sequence sa paghihigpit.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    oo nga sir dapat hindi nga pina overhauled, kasi the car was ondoy victim after that tragedy the car started to have vibration and having on oil on exhaus pipe, so sabi ng michanic need na daw i top overhaul kc pinasukan na ng tubig, wla pa po kc ako alam noon pagdating sa engine kc bago lng po ako, at pra mwala daw ung vibration i top overhaul na daw, nung tapos ng i top overhaul na eh may vibration pa rin d nmn natanggal. and may oil pa rin lumalabas, pa help nmn mga sir kng ano mganda gawin, salamat po..

6. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    mga sir tanong ko na rin po kailangan na rin po ba ng valve adjustment kasi since na overhaul wala pa pong nangyari na valve adjustment.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so when you said top overhaul due to flooding during ondoy e can i assume that this was done only to clean the top of the pistons and replace head gasket, or was it a proper top overhaul?

if yes then the i will make a guess. since top overhaul lang, then the old piston rings are still on. it is possible that the water corroded the rings (compression and oil control rings) and you may have corroded rings. as a consequence the pistons are sticking in the grooves. as the rings are rusted in the piston ring grooves then those are no longer controlling the thickness of the oil film between the rings and the cylinder, resulting to oil passing through and out to the exhaust.

another possible source of oil leaking to the exhaust is worn valve seals. it's possible that the valve stems got corroded during flooding (i assume di agad na-flushed ang engine after ondoy) and the corroded valve stems acted like sand paper on the seals. open the rocker arm cover and check the valve stems, if you see pitting on the valve stems then for sure the seals are worn out. palit ka ng valves and valve seals if this is the case.

have a proper partial overhaul done. at the very least, if that were my car, i'll have the piston rings and the valve seals replaced. that will be the least expensive option to cure the oil leak.

one source of vibration is the fan belt drive. have the belt removed then inspect the alternator and a/c compressor. turn the pulley by hand and check for freedom to turn or rough turning, like when a bearing is worn. remember 2 things though when checking the compressor. 1, the a/c must be turned on (engine stop, key in accessories On position and a/c switch ON) to energize the a/c compressor clutch. other wise you will only be turning the clutch if the clutch is not powered up. 2, it is a compressor so the force to turn it will fluctuate from free to springy as it compresses the refrigerant. if both alternator and a/c compressor check out ok, then it is probably the belt tensioner. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH YOUR ENGINE and i do not know if it uses a spring-type tensioner or just an adjusting bolt. if there is a tensioner then the spring probably got corroded and weakened. if you connect back the v-belt then run the engine and you can see the belt tensioner arm jumping up and down it is probably the tensioner that needs replacement. another possible source of vibration is the belt drive idler rollers/pulleys. if the bearings are shot (and they probably are since the vehicle got flooded) then you will need to change them also.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    *sir yebo: sir tnx for ur advise, actually the car was general overhauled not top overhauled, valve seal replace also with piston ring, but still it has vibration, and now with oil on exhaus pipe pro wla nmn smoke na lumalabas, balak ko ng hindi patingnan sa mechanic na gumawa gusto na sanang ipagawa sa mas reliable... nung binuksan ang engine sbi ng mechanic may alog na daw piston also with valve seal na so pinalitan, wich turn na wla nmng vibration na natangal, sir yebo wla ka bng alam na shop na mirerecomend, QC Anonas po ako, tnx in advance...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    general overhaul na pala? baka baliktad ang oil ring! and sa vibration,baka di nya na-check ang engine mounts baka punit na. tama ba timing ng ignition?

wala akong shop na pinupuntahan e kasi ako lang nag-o-overhaul dati ng kotse ko, hinahatak ko lang yung kilala kong mekaniko pag dating sa buhatan. ngayon di na ko gumagalaw ng makina at puro crdi na 2 sasakyan ko.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    sir yebo tnx po sa concern, definetly dalhin ko na lng po cguro sa shop wid all your concern sir, salamat po! more power to this forum it was a big a help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
oil on exhaus pipe