Good day tsikot! Need your inputs...
    Ive been experiencing oil consumption on my 06 vios
    Its been 3 months time since my last change oil
    My dipstick level was lessen by 1/4
    I use toyota fully synthetic oil
    I see no leaks
    No white smoke
    No oil traces on the muffler
    Is this normal since is use fs oil in a 6 yr old engine?
    Would you suggest switching to regular or semi syn oil?
    Or there is something wrong to my engine?
    Thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Did you check your oil in the same way, for example engine hot vs engine cold, same level surface vs parked on a incline or decline. It is not uncommon to loose small amount of oil through the cars PVC system. And if your using a 30 weight oil still you might want to switch to a 40 weight oil. Especially on a 6 year old vehicle. 40 weight oil is more appropriat for a tropical climate.

40 weight gives you more protection for longer there is really no reason to run 30 weight oil in the Philippines.

This is for a diesel but apples to gas as well. The only reason companies are pushing 30 weight oil is fuel economy and there really is not much difference between 30 and 40.

Last edited by dvldoc; February 5th, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thank u sir for the input.
    I use 5w 40
    Do you mean its ok that i lose this amount oil in 3 months time?
    Im planning just to switch to mineral oil do u think this will help?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Synthetics actually burn off off less, That is true synthetics. about 80% of synthetic oils are group III oils so not true synthetic like Mobil1 or Motul. If your not running your oil more than 10000kms then your wasting money on synthetic on a gas engine. Just be sure to use a oil with a good API rating.

I would inspect your PVC system on your vehicle if the valve is stuck or the internal spring is collapsed , the engine will burn oil. Also check for engine oil in the air cleaner housing or intake tube. I doubt you have worn rings on a Vios unless it's physically smoking when your driving.

Oil consumption