New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Possible ba?

Looking at the orientation of the current b6 sohc engine, I think an efi engine with the air intake manifold and airbox going to the right side of the hood (ie Toyota 4AFE, Nissan GA16DE etc) can possibly fit.

Hindi muna ko nagtanong sa Mazdatech coz the idea may sound silly to them... Sorry tsikoteers, just wondering kung possible nga ba.

Hindi pa din ako nagtatanong sa known engine swap shops eh. Ngayon-ngayon lang kasi to pumasok sa isip ko...

PS: I know Kia Pride engines would fit. But please, not KIAs. I'm thinking JDM engines.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The question is... why?

If it's for economy, forget it... might as well get a Pride engine.

If it's for power... yes... cross-platform swaps are possible... but if it's EFI and not carbureted, it will entail a lot of wiring, and you might not get full instrument cluster functionality. The difficulties with wiring are the reason why most people stick to same-make swaps.

One guy had a 20V 4AGE swapped into his Mazda3. Wonder how that went. Considering that the 20V is a torqueless high-revver and the Mazda3 is a huge, heavy car... :hysterical:

The question is never "is it possible". Anything is possible if you're crazy enough and there's enough space. The question is: will it be worth the money?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    It's for economy. I was actually looking at the 4AFE.
    However, I think the best option for me now is the Z5 swap. ... or dowgrade to a B3, or worst, a B1 Pride engine (which I would least likely do)

I called Blacksheep Autoworks and they said they don't do Z5.
    They said it's an awfully weak, slow engine. Ayaw daw nila mapahiya sa swaps nila. They instead offered me the B5 DOHC for P65,000.00 all-in including stage 1 clutch.

I called Kia DOHC of Mazdatech. He does Z5 for around P40,000. For such a price, I think I'd save more for a B5 DOHC. I read somewhere that Z5 is supposed to be an experimental engine ... and a Z5 that gets into trouble here would mean headache sourcing parts locally.

Thanks sir Niky.
    Last edited by isa1023; April 13th, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If economy is the only goal, why not just convert to LPG?

I did it with my Lynx... so even though I still get 6-7 km/l in traffic... I'm still only paying 26 pesos per liter compared to 50 per liter for V-Power.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    It's for economy.
    If you want to save money (in the long run), converting to Auto-LPG is a good option especially if you have some Auto-LPG refueling stations nearby your home or work.

Current price of auto-lpg is around P26.50 per liter.

Auto-LPG Conversion Thread:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29208

Auto-LPG installers contact information:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50159

Auto-LPG Price & Location discussion thread:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51650

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I'll definitely look into that LPG conversion. Yep there is a Total station that fills LPG in Alabang near my workplace so I think this will work for me.

I'll check the links now. Thanks sir gh and niky.

Looks like a good start since I can still use it even after I do an efi engine swap in the future.

And definitely a better idea than the silly way of choking one of the carb's jets like what my friend did in his 323..

Although he said the choking kinda worked...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Hindi pa din ako nagtatanong sa known engine swap shops eh. Ngayon-ngayon lang kasi to pumasok sa isip ko...
    If ever, san ka pakabit. Contact no. naman diyan.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Choking actually works... but you'll have to use an air-fuel meter to check that you're not choking it too far, causing the engine to run lean and hot.

Good luck with LPG. I also fill up at Total Alabang.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    well maintained Mazda B3 engines on the 1st generation 323 only consumes 11-12km/li city driving. But, the car weighs alot less than the astina so downgrading to a B3 might not improve your fuel consumption that much and you'll run your car severely underpowered.

B5 DOHC engines not much of economy engines too, consumes an average of 7km/li city driving, but you get about 10-15hp more than the phdm B6 DOHC. In japan, the standard trim of Astinas sport B5 DOHC engines.

P60k for a B5 engine? That's too much...You can source out the engine itself for P20-25k. Probably add another P10-15k installation, wring, and other misc. B5 engines are getting to be abit scarce these days. Your best option would be a Mazda BP engine (1.6li DOHC) swap for P45k, inclusive of installation. Although you might add a few thousand more because the astina is not stock efi. You may need to modify your gas tank a little to accomodate the efi fuel pump and add baffles.

It may sound like a joke, but I know a few people who swapped their B6 DOHC engine on thier familias with the BP engine and actually improved mileage. From the usual 6-7km/li of the B6 to a whooping 10-11km/li with the BP on city driving and more on highways. I guess that goes with improvement on the power-to-weight ratio. Plus, you get that oommpph when that need arises. Bagay na bagay sa tag line na Astina na "rally bute, refined."

I also heard that the Kia pride owners install BPs on their prides and fabricate manifolds so they can install kia/mazda carbs. They get 15km/li on city driving. Last time I heard, the conversion doesn't exceed P40k.

Wag mo nang lagyan ng ibang engine yung astina mo, sayang...

Last edited by chaos101; April 17th, 2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: added a few statements

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Choking actually works... but you'll have to use an air-fuel meter to check that you're not choking it too far, causing the engine to run lean and hot.

Good luck with LPG. I also fill up at Total Alabang.
    I already rechecked the carb. I think the previous owner already choked it.

Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    If ever, san ka pakabit. Contact no. naman diyan.
    Still thinking of swapping to efi muna bro then the lpg will follow.

Baka sa Total Alabang ako magpaconvert yun kasi pinakamalapit sa location ko.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos101 View Post
    well maintained Mazda B3 engines on the 1st generation 323 only consumes 11-12km/li city driving. But, the car weighs alot less than the astina so downgrading to a B3 might not improve your fuel consumption that much and you'll run your car severely underpowered.
    Sabi nga ng MTP guys the Astina is heavier than the gen1 kahit pareho pa sila BG chassis. Weird no, usually mas magaan ang fastback versions diba?

Anyway, B3 1300 carb nga yung iniisip ko nung una na ipalit. Or maybe (worst ) is the B1 carb kia pride engine. Kaso sobrang hina na nga mga yun eh madalas highway driving ako so mas ok pa rin yung stock B6 ko ngayon.

B5 DOHC engines not much of economy engines too, consumes an average of 7km/li city driving, but you get about 10-15hp more than the phdm B6 DOHC. In japan, the standard trim of Astinas sport B5 DOHC engines.
    Meet the Mazdatech South Sector last Friday. Ok nga daw yung B5 dohc sa Astina. Pero kung gusto ko mas matipid eh tignan ko nga daw talaga yung Z5.

P60k for a B5 engine? That's too much...You can source out the engine itself for P20-25k. Probably add another P10-15k installation, wring, and other misc. B5 engines are getting to be abit scarce these days.
    P65,000.00 ang b5 dohc sa Blacksheep. All-in daw yan with stage 1 clutch na. Wala naman ako plano mangarera pa sa ngayon.

P37,900.00 and z5 dohc sa kiaDOHC. All-in din. I assume kasama na gas tank and line conversion dito. Pero parang mahal pa rin eh diba?

So canvass muna ko sa Evangelista and Banawe baka may makita ako mas mura. May recommended shops ba kayo na pwede kong puntahan? Kasi Blacksheep and kiaDOHC ang recommended sa MTP eh naisip ko baka may iba pa.

Your best option would be a Mazda BP engine (1.6li DOHC) swap for P45k, inclusive of installation. Although you might add a few thousand more because the astina is not stock efi. You may need to modify your gas tank a little to accomodate the efi fuel pump and add baffles.
    If ever jdm engine swap, ok na po ako sa b5 dohc or z5 dohc at the least.
    If ever phdm engine swap, mukhang no choice ako kundi mag b6 dohc.

IHE upgrades nalang siguro.

It may sound like a joke, but I know a few people who swapped their B6 DOHC engine on thier familias with the BP engine and actually improved mileage. From the usual 6-7km/li of the B6 to a whooping 10-11km/li with the BP on city driving and more on highways. I guess that goes with improvement on the power-to-weight ratio. Plus, you get that oommpph when that need arises. Bagay na bagay sa tag line na Astina na "rally bute, refined."
    Wag mo nang lagyan ng ibang engine yung astina mo, sayang...
    Takaw na kasi sa gas sir eh. Considering na nilinis ko na yung carb with 3m carb cleaner, replaced the stock air cleaner assembly with aftermarket filter, then replaced the pcv valve with breathers (no choice, open hose na rin kasi since tinanggal ko na nga yung stock assembly)...

Pero mukhang may leak yung exhaust ko eh. Pa-check ko din muna.
    Last edited by isa1023; April 19th, 2010 at 08:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
non-mazda engine swap to 323 astina