New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Chicane View Post
    Lately, my Toyota Innova Diesel squeaks very loud during initial start-up. It happens during cold weather like rainy season. It was not squeaking like this loud before. Sounds like a metal-to-metal squeaking, but disappears after about 30 seconds.

I know diesels are noisy especially during cold start, but i never heard my Innova squeak this loud before. My odo is just 50k and i just changed oil last 2 weeks ago using Shell Fully Synthetic Diesel engine oil.

Is this loud squeaking normal? Again i'm asking because this is the first time it really squeaks very loud during cold start, then disappears after about 30 seconds or so.
    my guess is, pulley. idler or tensioner.
    i do not know, if the bearing can be replaced. if it can, then have it replaced. otherwise, the entire assembly....
    you might try spray-on lubricant on the bearing. the squeak will disappear, but will be back after a couple of weeks.

the squeak appears in cold or rainy weather, because that is when the lubricant fails and/or the rust forms.

generally, no. it does not require immediate-to-hell-with-my-work attention, as in, it will fall off before you reach your destination tomorrow. but the sound is irritating...
    mine has been acting up, on and off, these past months.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Thanks to all the suggestions.

Wala pa akong time pumunta sa casa to have this inspected, is it unsafe to keep using my car for the meantime until i can have this inspected? Meron bang implications?

Another thing, i could not duplicate the squeaking sound so the mechanic might not hear it when he starts the engine. Pasulpot-sulpot lang yung loud squeaks, i noticed kapag cold weather or matagal na hindi ginamit yung kotse. Pero pag regular use, wala naman yung squeak.

Pag nag-squeak naman, nakaka-ngilo talaga. Parang yung chalk na nag-squeak sa blackboard. Ganun yung sound.

Just to answer those who inquired-

1) I used Shell Diesel Helix Ultra 5W-40. I think sa casa, they only use 1 type of fully synthetic pag sinabi mong fully synthetic ang gusto mo. It's also 5W-40.

2) My engine coolant is fully topped. Never dropped halfway at any given time.

3) My Innova Diesel is 2010 model at 50k odo.

So is this a serious problem kung hindi ko muna madala sa casa and i use the car everyday?
    Malang tensioner sa belt nga yan or belt na mismo medyo pudpod na, kasi squeaky sounds pala. Never kapa ba nag palit ng mga belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    hydraulic valve lash adjusters....................kaso hindi ata ganito mga 2kd na phil versions. conventional tappet na manually adjusted pa rin ata.

i also hear a ticking sound sa innova ni utol during the initial revs of the engine....approx 10 secs or less yung tinatagal ng sound.

chirping sound ba talaga iyan ts or parang metallic sound? kung metallic baka nawalan lang ng oil yung valve train assembly.

you could look at the automatic tensioner kung gumagalaw about the pivot point when the engine is running. something is wrong with it kung magalaw.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    hydraulic valves.
    if the oil drains out of the valve and gravitates down overnight, the newly started engine will run "palyado" for a few seconds to several tens of seconds, until the oil is pushed back in. then the engine runs its usual smoothness.
    sometimes, the engine will turn but won't start, until after several attempts. hope the battery is strong, during these events.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Lately, my Toyota Innova Diesel squeaks very loud during initial start-up. It happens during cold weather like rainy season. It was not squeaking like this loud before. Sounds like a metal-to-metal squeaking, but disappears after about 30 seconds.

I know diesels are noisy especially during cold start, but i never heard my Innova squeak this loud before. My odo is just 50k and i just changed oil last 2 weeks ago using Shell Fully Synthetic Diesel engine oil.

Is this loud squeaking normal? Again i'm asking because this is the first time it really squeaks very loud during cold start, then disappears after about 30 seconds or so.
    Search mo po sa youtube ang sound ng failing Overrunning Alternator Pulley or Alternator Clutch Pulley. Kung parehas sound then hook up a voltmeter during cold startup, if Vo drops during the squeal then sureball your OAP is about to quit.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Thanks for suggesting to look it up on YouTube.

This is what it exactly sounds like with my Innova problem:
    How to Fix a Squeaky Belt (figure out where the squeak is coming from) - YouTube

Here is another exact sound just like mine:
    How to Diagnose and Fix Belt Squeaks or Squealing Noise Issues - YouTube
    How to Fix a Squeaky Belt (figure out where the squeak is coming from) - YouTube

So i guess based on the sound comparison with the YouTube videos, i guess my problem is indeed the belt.

I have never replaced the belt before. I believe the belt should be replaced after 50k?

Is this easy enough to be replaced by outside auto repair shops, or do i need to bring this to Toyota casa?

I'm quite wary with Toyota casa these days, as they don't allow you to watch while your car is being repaired. They just want you to stay in the lounge watching Mr. Bean videos. lol

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008

So i guess based on the sound comparison with the YouTube videos, i guess my problem is indeed the belt.

I have never replaced the belt before. I believe the belt should be replaced after 50k?

Is this easy enough to be replaced by outside auto repair shops, or do i need to bring this to Toyota casa?

I'm quite wary with Toyota casa these days, as they don't allow you to watch while your car is being repaired. They just want you to stay in the lounge watching Mr. Bean videos. lol
    inspect the belt, looking for breaks in the material. if there are, i'd replace it, even if it does not squeak.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 14th, 2017 at 10:25 AM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2017

I think kung regular ka sa casa nagpapa pms, pagka hit ng 40k odo mo replacement of belt's ata yan eh. Exemption nalang sa timing belt kasi 90k to 100k yun replacement dun. I might be wrong kasi wala sa akin ngayon ang manual ko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Search mo po sa youtube ang sound ng failing Overrunning Alternator Pulley or Alternator Clutch Pulley. Kung parehas sound then hook up a voltmeter during cold startup, if Vo drops during the squeal then sureball your OAP is about to quit.
    +1 dito. alternator pulley.

nag replace ako nito at 60k kms. nung una tuwing umaga lang, cold start, hanggang sa kahit habang nag d drive meron na din.

ingat ka sa mga shops na mag sasabing kailangan palitan buong alternator.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks to all the suggestions.

Wala pa akong time pumunta sa casa to have this inspected, is it unsafe to keep using my car for the meantime until i can have this inspected? Meron bang implications?

Another thing, i could not duplicate the squeaking sound so the mechanic might not hear it when he starts the engine. Pasulpot-sulpot lang yung loud squeaks, i noticed kapag cold weather or matagal na hindi ginamit yung kotse. Pero pag regular use, wala naman yung squeak.

Pag nag-squeak naman, nakaka-ngilo talaga. Parang yung chalk na nag-squeak sa blackboard. Ganun yung sound.

Just to answer those who inquired-

1) I used Shell Diesel Helix Ultra 5W-40. I think sa casa, they only use 1 type of fully synthetic pag sinabi mong fully synthetic ang gusto mo. It's also 5W-40.

2) My engine coolant is fully topped. Never dropped halfway at any given time.

3) My Innova Diesel is 2010 model at 50k odo.

So is this a serious problem kung hindi ko muna madala sa casa and i use the car everyday?
    My take is look for a reputable mechanic, loosen the serpentine/v-belt and manually turn the tensioner pulley, the idler pulley and the alternator pulley, the one that is not smooth running and noisy during your inspection is usually the culprit. That is the one you will have to replace. But if budget is not a problem, it is best to change the 3 pulleys with new ones incl the serpentine belt for a trouble-free driving...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast