New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Hi guys.

I have a 1989 Toyota Corolla Small body (EE90 with 2E engine). It's my dad's car and my first. I've been driving it since 1996 (and a little bit before that when I was first learning how to drive by secretly driving the car when my dad's not around).

My car has been through a lot. It was flooded 3 times (Ondoy, Millenyo and Habagat) since our subdivision commonly floods and it still runs after some minor repairs from a local shell station that we usually go to to have her fixed. But the floods did take it's toll and rusted parts of the body that doesn't drain.

After the Habagat flooding, I had it top overhauled but the mechanic made the problems much worse (I spent almost 9K on everything).

Currently, my radiator's full of oil and water, all my spark plugs are black from burning oil especially the two end cylinders. the first cylinder from the left wets the spark plug with water and the dip stick now has water and oil mixed.

After addressing her engine problem (and others that will affect performance), hopefully I have budget to have her body repaired and painted back to stock.

Somehow the car still runs! But I don't use it anymore to prevent the problems from worsening further than it already is. I do some basic maintenance myself, but this is beyond what I am capable of fixing.

I would like to ask for your recommendation as to really good and professional auto repair shops that will give a decent affordable estimate and will not run the bill by replacing parts that are still good.

I really would appreciate the help guys, this is my last effort to have her repaired due to sentimental reasons but with a budget that will not cost high enough that I can buy a good condition 2nd hand car with the same amount.

I love my car very much, She and I have been through a lot. But if there are no viable affordable options, then painfully, it's time to let her go.

Hope to hear from you soon!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Pinalitan ba ng mekaniko ang cylinder head gasket mo noong nag top overhaul siya? Maganda ba ang quality ng cylinder head gasket kung sakaling pinalitan niya ng bago? Kung nag hahalo ang tubig at langis mo sa cylinder head gasket ka mag start ng troubleshooting.

Ilagay mo brod ang location mo para maka suggest ang ibang tsikoteers ng mekaniko na malapit sa bahay mo. :2thumbsup:

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jopskee View Post
    Hi guys.

I have a 1989 Toyota Corolla Small body (EE90 with 2E engine). It's my dad's car and my first. I've been driving it since 1996 (and a little bit before that when I was first learning how to drive by secretly driving the car when my dad's not around).

My car has been through a lot. It was flooded 3 times (Ondoy, Millenyo and Habagat) since our subdivision commonly floods and it still runs after some minor repairs from a local shell station that we usually go to to have her fixed. But the floods did take it's toll and rusted parts of the body that doesn't drain.

After the Habagat flooding, I had it top overhauled but the mechanic made the problems much worse (I spent almost 9K on everything).

Currently, my radiator's full of oil and water, all my spark plugs are black from burning oil especially the two end cylinders. the first cylinder from the left wets the spark plug with water and the dip stick now has water and oil mixed.

After addressing her engine problem (and others that will affect performance), hopefully I have budget to have her body repaired and painted back to stock.

Somehow the car still runs! But I don't use it anymore to prevent the problems from worsening further than it already is. I do some basic maintenance myself, but this is beyond what I am capable of fixing.

I would like to ask for your recommendation as to really good and professional auto repair shops that will give a decent affordable estimate and will not run the bill by replacing parts that are still good.

I really would appreciate the help guys, this is my last effort to have her repaired due to sentimental reasons but with a budget that will not cost high enough that I can buy a good condition 2nd hand car with the same amount.

I love my car very much, She and I have been through a lot. But if there are no viable affordable options, then painfully, it's time to let her go.

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Mukhang natapat ka sa mekanikong pulpol. Palagay ko mali ang pag soli ng cylinder head gasket. I mean hindi proper ang sequence ng paghipit ( torque ) sa mga headbolt. Hindi pwede todo higpit kaagad ang mga headbolt at dapat meron siya Torque Wrench. Saka may sequence ang paghigpit ng mga headbolt. Dapat punasan at alisin mabuti yun mga oil sa ibabaw ng cylinder or yun mga bakal na lalapatan ng headgasket para maganda ang sealing at kapit kapag ito ay nainitan na.

Tama lang na hanap ka ng marunong talaga na mekaniko. Pero ako rin ay walang ma recommend sa iyo. Dahil parehong pareho experience natin. Binaha and mga mechanic na pulpol.

Ang nangyari tuloy ay ako na mechanic at Overhaul ng sariling kotse ko na Lancer Itlog ngayun.
    Last edited by Chinoi; November 6th, 2014 at 10:20 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    I apologize for the very late reply, guys.

Thanks papajim and Chinoi for the advise.

Papajim, I bought a new overhaul kit, but I didn't see the machine shop repair done to the cylinder head and I wasn't there when it was re-installed. But I think Chinoi's right, mukhang di nga na-install nang maayos. Di mahigpit masyado yung ibang head bolts nung kinalas ko yung cylinder head ko. Aside from the leak from the gasket, mukhang yung valves were not lapped and seated properly. may pitted groove yung valve faces. I opted to replace the valves with new ones. (nag-aral ako ng Automotive Gas and Diesel Mechanics Course para makatipid sa labor, at makasigurado rin na maayos gawa, kung may ipagagawa man ako sa ibang mechanic). Dito ako sa may Tondo area, so medyo overwhelming ang dami ng selection ng machine shops and auto supplies na malapit. I still will need to have the cylinder head reconditioned sa machine shop, pa-reface and paayos ng valve seats. valve stems are in good condition naman. I tried to have the c. head machine shop repair estimated, 5k agad ang quote sakin for camshaft recondition and cylinder head re-face and valve seat repair, so I'm still looking for other machine shops. I'll try to post some pictures of my cylinder head and all the parts para you can advise me further on what I can do.

Although I have already learned how to disassemble the engine block, I have not done it kasi wala akong pang-support or hugot nung engine block like a chain hoist. I'm expecting it to be relatively heavy so di ko sya kinalas. Di naman nakalog or nauga yung pistons ko in the cylinders, which is a good sign but not an assurance if my piston rings are still good. I'd love to have my cylinders honed since may mantsa yung ibang cylinders from onting rust (sana na-drain ko agad yung water-contaminated oil ko). Again, I'll try to take pics of it and post it so that you'd see it and give me your opinions.

Thanks again guys, feel free to post your opinions on my overhauling project. Update ko 'tong thread na ito sa current status ng overhaul ko hanggang sa matapos ko sya.

I hope to hear from you guys again soon!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Sir TS saang lugar ka?

My uncle once referred me to a mechanic that did the top overhaul for my EE90 a few years ago. Dunno what the situation is right now, but i was impressed with how he worked, kalmado gumawa, me gamit pa siyang torque wrench like sir chinoi said. Cost me 15k back then, but no complaints.

Di ko lang nga alam how to contact him short of visiting the auto shop. PM me na lang if you're interested.
    Last edited by badkuk; July 1st, 2015 at 10:26 AM.