New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    I'm planning to buy this 2003 Honda CRV from a relative. The history of this was it was bought from a buy and sell car dealer. after a few months had a problem with leakage causing it to overheat. It was sent to a mechanic and the cylinder head gasket was replaced. then after a few weeks it still have the same problem. So the mechanic replaced the cylinder head and the gasket. This costed around 60K in repair. The mechanic adviced to have it breaked in for 1000kms and have it tuned up after that. Right now the initial acceleration feels lacking (not sure how to describe it), but after that initial acceleration everything is normal. The mechanic told my relative it should be gone after the tune up. Im near the 1000km break in period (around 600 already) I was lucky because my relative wants me to use the car for a month to try it and then decide. I have driven it from manila to tarlac, tarlac to subic, subic to tarlac and tarlac to manila last week. And so far no leaks (just looking at the water levels in radiator and coolant).

I really want to get this car, but if this will give me problems very soon with major expenses then I would just let it go. My thought is that the problems have been fixed by the owner but someone told me that once the engine overheated it will be very risky as the sealing wont be that good compared to the factory.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I am not very knowledgeable with cars so if I said something technically wrong please correct me.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dhome1105 View Post
    I'm planning to buy this 2003 Honda CRV from a relative. The history of this was it was bought from a buy and sell car dealer. after a few months had a problem with leakage causing it to overheat. It was sent to a mechanic and the cylinder head gasket was replaced. then after a few weeks it still have the same problem. So the mechanic replaced the cylinder head and the gasket. This costed around 60K in repair. The mechanic adviced to have it breaked in for 1000kms and have it tuned up after that. Right now the initial acceleration feels lacking (not sure how to describe it), but after that initial acceleration everything is normal. The mechanic told my relative it should be gone after the tune up. Im near the 1000km break in period (around 600 already) I was lucky because my relative wants me to use the car for a month to try it and then decide. I have driven it from manila to tarlac, tarlac to subic, subic to tarlac and tarlac to manila last week. And so far no leaks (just looking at the water levels in radiator and coolant).

I really want to get this car, but if this will give me problems very soon with major expenses then I would just let it go. My thought is that the problems have been fixed by the owner but someone told me that once the engine overheated it will be very risky as the sealing wont be that good compared to the factory.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I am not very knowledgeable with cars so if I said something technically wrong please correct me.
    in any engine, brand new and pre-owned, all bets are off, after the engine overheats.
    my opinion.

but based on your experience, it appears you have a good car there.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    It really depends on the main problem of the car. Have you not experienced any overheating with this car so far? If it does not overheat under intense noonday heat during high speed long drives and also during bumper to bumper traffic then you're good.

Three of our cars have overheated at one time or another. The Granvia 3.0D only needed a radiator overhaul. The Tribute 2.3 needed a radiator overhaul and replacement of aux fan motor. The Revo on the other hand underwent all the works before finally replacing the head and valve cover gasket (cost around 15k). No overheating problems so far, over 20tkms later except for an instance wherein there was a busted crankshaft oil seal causing an oil leak.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GTi; December 6th, 2016 at 10:30 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    It really depends on the main problem of the car. Have you not experienced any overheating with this car so far? If it does not overheat under intense noonday heat during high speed long drives and also during bumper to bumper traffic then you're good.

Three of our cars have overheated at one time or another. The Granvia 3.0D only needed a radiator overhaul. The Tribute 2.3 needed a radiator overhaul and replacement of aux fan motor. The Revo on the other hand underwent all the works before finally replacing the head and valve cover gasket (cost around 15k). No overheating problems so far, over 20tkms later except for an instance wherein there was a busted crankshaft oil seal causing an oil leak.

After driving it for around 500kms no overheat so far. I havent tried it with heavy traffic tho but have tried it on long drives. Last week I drove from manila to tarlac, then tarlac to subic, subic to tarlac and tarlac to manila.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    After driving it for around 500kms no overheat so far. I havent tried it with heavy traffic tho but have tried it on long drives. Last week I drove from manila to tarlac, then tarlac to subic, subic to tarlac and tarlac to manila.
    in my opinion, if it's going to leak as a result of its past history, it should have leaked by now.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Agree with the doc. If the overheating was caused by issues that would require an overhaul it would've been boiling before you got past the first couple of kilometers.

What is the car's mileage by the way?

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    Agree with the doc. If the overheating was caused by issues that would require an overhaul it would've been boiling before you got past the first couple of kilometers.

What is the car's mileage by the way?

Car's mileage is around 81K.

So are you saying sirs that theres a good chance that the problem was fixed?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Car's mileage is around 81K.

So are you saying sirs that theres a good chance that the problem was fixed?

Ang baba naman ng milyahe overhaul na kaagad... And I thought the Revo sucked for having a head gasket replacement at 110tkms.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Well, if the car is not overheating whichever way you drive it then obviously the problem was solved. 👍

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Ang baba naman ng milyahe overhaul na kaagad... And I thought the Revo sucked for having a head gasket replacement at 110tkms.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Well, if the car is not overheating whichever way you drive it then obviously the problem was solved. 👍

Thank you sir!

10. Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Good day mga sirs.Newpie po ako sa kotse at wala pa po ako gaano alam. Tanong ko lang po ang problem sa auto ko na bagong overhauled.General oeverhaul po ginawa pgkatapos po nya nag mag overheat. Nung natapos po,naging mausok po siya na puti.Sabi ng mekaniko natural lang daw yun at after ng break in ng 1 week mawawala din daw yun kasi hindi pa daw nasusunog yung mga oil. Pero 1 week na po kasi mausok parin po at tinakbo ko narin po sya ng 60-70kph pero malakas padin po usok. May lumalagatok din po pag release ng clutch .Sabi po timing belt daw tumalon kaya inadjust po. Medjo po nabawasan pero may "tok" parin po. Normal po ba na may white smoke pag bagong overhaul pag luma na po sasakyan at mawawala na lang po ba siya pag tumagal? ano din po kaya problem sa timing belt na may tok pag release clutch? May iba pa po ba dpat gawin? Sana po matulungan nyo po ako.
    HONDA ESI 95
    Replaced parts/service
    -head cover gasket
    -valve seals
    -valve cover gasket
    -timing belt
    -piston rings
    -intake gasket
    -oil seals
    -oil and filter
    -cylinder head refacing

Thank you mga sirs!