New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Wanna turbo an NA? Here's what it takes...Naturally aspirated vs Turbocharged
    How To Turbo Your Miata! - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
    Good day to all!
    i want to ask your knowledge regarding the advantages and disadvantages of naturally aspirated over turbocharged engines

1. same engine displacement ( different power output )
    2. same power output ( different displacement)
    Turbo petrols are still rather scarce in our market. What we have a lot of are turbo diesels. And in my experience with these, normally aspirated engines are pretty much always more fuel efficient than turbocharged engines, just because they are physically incapable of consuming more fuel with the absence of forced induction.

Closest real life example I can quote is my former daily driver, a Toyota Revo 2.4 diesel 5MT and current daily driver, a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 5AT.
    Revo: 7-8 city,12-14 highway
    Santa Fe: 5-6 city, also 12-14 highway
    Highway for me entails maintaining speeds mostly around 100-120km/h. Though the Revo screams its head off running 100 at 3200rpm and 120 at 3800rpm, while the Santa Fe does 100 at just 1900rpm and 120 at 2100rpm. I would've expected the Santa Fe to be significantly thriftier, but consumption ended up more or less the same when driving out of town.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    having boost is more fun

hearing the turbo spool up, hit boost, rev to redline, shift, hear the sound of the blow off valve...

puts a smile on your face

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I used to drive daily solely turbo gas vehicles. I have no issues driving them thru traffic every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    salamat po sa inyong lahat,
    im learning new things here

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dropzone View Post

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What turbo gas vehicle are you looking at? I would suggest Subaru vehicles.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post

With the new extended warranty of Subaru up to 5 years now, which is 2 years more than its Japanese counterparts here (and I think matches the 2 Koreans now - I'm not sure if Kia has the 5 year warranty here like Hyundai), it is definitely a good consideration if the owner is concerned about mechanical parts prematurely failing. =)

Question though, I haven't personally owned/maintained Subaru's but previous readings (we're talking about 5 to 7 years ago) mentioned that the boxer engines tend to burn engine oil quicker than comparable engines? Is this true now with the current lineup?

Should this be true, does it mean that even if we use Fully Synthetic, a top up should be in order every 5k kms or 6mos, even if you don't reach the mileage much? Thanks.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    With the new extended warranty of Subaru up to 5 years now, which is 2 years more than its Japanese counterparts here (and I think matches the 2 Koreans now - I'm not sure if Kia has the 5 year warranty here like Hyundai), it is definitely a good consideration if the owner is concerned about mechanical parts prematurely failing. =)

Question though, I haven't personally owned/maintained Subaru's but previous readings (we're talking about 5 to 7 years ago) mentioned that the boxer engines tend to burn engine oil quicker than comparable engines? Is this true now with the current lineup?

Should this be true, does it mean that even if we use Fully Synthetic, a top up should be in order every 5k kms or 6mos, even if you don't reach the mileage much? Thanks.
    The oil burning issue was with the older EJ25 engines (local WRX STi model and they are not covered by the 5-year warranty). There are no reported such issues with the newer FB16, FA20, and FA25 turbo engines.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    The oil burning issue was with the older EJ25 engines (local WRX STi model and they are not covered by the 5-year warranty). There are no reported such issues with the newer FB16, FA20, and FA25 turbo engines.

Thanks for that info.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011

good day sir!
    i have a 2012 forester xs (pre cvt era)and a 2017 forester xt, i prefer the feel of naturally aspirated here in the city but i think parang bitin sa akin ying 2.0, NA, but when i drive the xt, parang too much power naman, parang may whiplash ako,
    parang iba din yung boxer engine sound ng NA ( which i like it more) compared to the XT
    im thinking kung sana lng may 2.5 NA na forester dito sa pilipinas

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Naturally aspirated vs Turbocharged