New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    that is the question which i'm not even sure belongs to this part of the forum. Patulong nlang po mga mods if ever this thread needs to be relocated to another section ha

anyways, when i bought my car, me kasama na sha stainless muffler na mataba, cguro ung previous owner was into the pormadong auto na meron maingay na tambutso. i'm currently thinking of either having it replaced or kakabitan ng silencer coz i'm not into the whole macho noisy car thing. Pero, aside from the porma looks and noisy effects, are there any real benefits to having a big muffler installed as opposed to the original stock na mufflers? Is it true na rin that a smaller muffler provides more "power" than a wider muffler?

thanks in advance for any inputs

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Unless you have matching headers and pipes a large muffler is usually for porma only. Otherwise intake, headers, exhaust upgrades are level 1 performance upgrades.

Kung ayaw mo noisey balik mo nalang stock muffler ng oto mo. Sometimes noisy mufflers can be annoying.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Like you said that you’re not into whole macho noisy car thing, better go back to stock. mas maganda ang simpleng tahimik, matipid pa. based on experience, very minimal lang ang gain if it comes with a headers and/if with larger pipes. sometimes nga psychological lang rin, after weeks of installation parang the same na lang.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemkay View Post
    that is the question which i'm not even sure belongs to this part of the forum. Patulong nlang po mga mods if ever this thread needs to be relocated to another section ha

anyways, when i bought my car, me kasama na sha stainless muffler na mataba, cguro ung previous owner was into the pormadong auto na meron maingay na tambutso. i'm currently thinking of either having it replaced or kakabitan ng silencer coz i'm not into the whole macho noisy car thing. Pero, aside from the porma looks and noisy effects, are there any real benefits to having a big muffler installed as opposed to the original stock na mufflers? Is it true na rin that a smaller muffler provides more "power" than a wider muffler?

"Mufflers" like the one posted above is meant to minimize the backpressure in an exhaust system and to produce a certain exhaust note as well.

If you don't like the noise but still prefer the potential of having a bit more power from having a free-flow exhaust, you could have a traditional glass packed muffler installed for you like the one below:

This type should lower the noise generated to a more agreeable level and still retain the low back pressure in the exhaust system than a standard muffler which is restrictive.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    many thanks for the responses, tsikoteers!

*GH, yup, i have the exact same fat stainless muffler installed right now as that in the 1st picture above. would you know how much the glass packed muffler would go for these days? brand new or "banawe new" alike?

Another thing is nakakapanghinayang na palitan entirely ung stainless muffler coz i know it could be still worth something. And since it came nga with the car, so ung stock muffler ng auto ko wala na, meaning i have to buy ulet. Thats why i'm also considering a silencer nlang to compliment(??) the fat muffler rather than replacing it entirely. saan po kaya ako mas makaka less ng gastos and practical? silencer or stock muffler?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nagpakabit ako last month.
    new muffler price dito sa p. tuazon cubao, nasa P1.5k-up.
    i have no idea sa silencer.

pwede siguro, ibenta mo na lang ang fat stainless muffer mo para mabawi mo yung ibang magagastos mo sa bagong muffler na type mo. i'm sure meron kukuha nyan.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you could get a jasma spec muffs sa surplus shops for aorund 5-6k depending on the condition and brand. jasma spec muffs are much tolerable than freeflow muffs in terms of noise.

to muffler, or not to muffler?