New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Pardon my newb question. My Honda CRV (gen 2) has an engine oil leak problem, tried to have it fixed before in an auto repair shop nearby our place but after changing some parts that the mechanic suggested, the problem still wasn't resolved. I don't really want to have it fixed in casa as it would cost me a fortune but I was thinking of having it checked up there and then once I know what parts to replace then I'll have it done in our nearby talyer, is that a more viable option? Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    pcv failures can cause this oil leak... its a cheap part often overlooked.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    To the best of your knowledge, where is the leak coming from? What parts were replaced?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    pcv failures can cause this oil leak... its a cheap part often overlooked.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Thank you for your input sir, I'll mention that to the mechanic.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    To the best of your knowledge, where is the leak coming from? What parts were replaced?
    I have forgotten most of the parts since it was more than a year ago but yung gasket im certain pinalitan yun. One noticeable thing is yung fan belt maingay sya since nalalagyan sya ng oil, after a few minutes mawawala yung noise habang umaandar but once I turn off the engine and start it again let's say after a couple of hours maingay uli yung belt.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    If the problem is oil leak, you don't need a computer (or OBD reader) to diagnose that. "Computers" in casa can only diagnose those connected to electronics. So kung tagas yan, mata at experience ang kelangan.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    If the problem is oil leak, you don't need a computer (or OBD reader) to diagnose that. "Computers" in casa can only diagnose those connected to electronics. So kung tagas yan, mata at experience ang kelangan.
    Okay sir, thanks for your input. I guess I just have to find a more experienced mechanic in that case.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post

Very true, people think that if a shop has code readers or scan tools that is is a "very good shop".

Even the most sophisticated scan tool is not a silver bullet to all car ailments.

The scan tool is only as good or bad as the technician or idiot behind it. Nothing replaces a good ol' trained, experienced, equipped technician. Tools don't fix cars. Machines don't have brains. Tools are merely tools.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OneHitWonder7 View Post
    I have forgotten most of the parts since it was more than a year ago but yung gasket im certain pinalitan yun. One noticeable thing is yung fan belt maingay sya since nalalagyan sya ng oil, after a few minutes mawawala yung noise habang umaandar but once I turn off the engine and start it again let's say after a couple of hours maingay uli yung belt.
    Keep an accurate record or waste money. Oil leaks originates from gaskets, oil hoses and joints. Inspect your car while hoisted and on idle. Even if your mechanic change the gasket, if he did a poor job, it will still leak. Pray your engine isn't worn (blow-by).

Fans and belts wont leak oil. Spray some water on the fan belt while engine is idling, if the noise go away replace the fan belt. If the noise doesn't go away, it's often the bearing of one of the pulleys, water pump, or even your alternator. It's a process of elimination, of everything spinning.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Squeaky fan belt --> quickest solution ay palitan mo na lang. yung sa Innova namin ako lang nagpalit. took me an hour pero dapat mga 15 minutes lang kung yung hexagonal wrench ko ay diretso ang dulo. nag-improvise pa ako kaya tumagal.

Oil leaks
    --> there several gaskets sa engine
    **valve cover gasket - yung nasa pinaka ibabaw. pag may leak ito, kita agad pag bukas ng hood. gawa lang ito sa goma at madali palitan.
    **cylinder head gasket - nasa pagitan ng cylinder head at engine block. gawa sa matigas na bagay hehehe at pinaka mahirap palitan.
    **oil pan gasket - nasa pinaka ilalim between the oil pan at engine block. mejo madali palitan. hassle lang kasi nasa ilalim ito ng makina.

Ang tanong saan ba ang leak jan sa tatlo?

Nabanggit na kanina yung PCV valve. Ang purpose nito ay ilabas ang blow-by gases mula sa oil pan at valve cover papuntang combustion chamber. So kung barado ito, mag build ang pressure sa loob na oil pan at valve cover at pwedeng maging sanhi ng oil leak. So palitan mo na ito kasi mura lang naman ito at pwede DIY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is it more reliable to have the checkup done by computer (casa) than manually?