New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    based on the Engine..the 1.5 has more power and torque then the 1.3…I am torned between choosing the 1.3L and 1.5 L engine..

* frequent city driving within metro manila w/ the usual traffic
    * occasional long driving
    * occasional family trip to tagaytay, baguio, antipolo
    * during weekdays its just me and my wife and our baby
    * during weekends, the 3 of us along with our 2 sons who are available to come with us after the school week days
    * during those trips were it will be the 5 of us..we might carry along some baggages inside the trunk..1 backpack pr/head along with the stroller of our baby

It is important for us to know if the 1.3L engine is quite undersized for us specially during those long trips involving some hill accent or if the 1.5L engine is just right for us..and kung di naman sya masyado kalakasan sa gasolina…any information and help will be greatly appreciated...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    1.3 will always be efficient in the city. Youll only be maximizing the 1.5 during overtqking and hiway runs. But if your getting the a/t, 1.3 will only be better by a thin margin compared to the 1.5

I have the 3rd gen 1.5g a/t, breakin pa so i have 8-9 sa city and 14 to 15 pag hi way. Once na punuin mo ng tao, youll feel that the enGine is starting to strain. Don ko naiisip na sana innova na lang ang dinala ko. :-).

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    The 1.3 is definitely more frugal in pure city driving. But once you load up and have those long trips, the 1.3 engine might be underpowered and fc will suffer. The 1.5 is the better choice if I were you, considering you'll use it for out of town trips with 5 on board and the usual baggage. Altis is also a good alternative to consider.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Even with four passengers on the highway, the 1.3 will be better as long as you don't rev it hard to overtake.

About the only place the 1.5 will be better is in extended mountain climbing.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    IMO, buy the 1.3L now, later on, in two to three years, you'll need a second car, an SUV, dahil matututo na din drive ang mga anak mo, kaya may gagamitin na kayo for long trips with full loads, ang 1.3L, for short trips and city use na lang.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rac98 View Post
    The 1.3 is definitely more frugal in pure city driving. But once you load up and have those long trips, the 1.3 engine might be underpowered and fc will suffer. The 1.5 is the better choice if I were you, considering you'll use it for out of town trips with 5 on board and the usual baggage. Altis is also a good alternative to consider.
    yup, am really particular of those occasional long trip full loaded passengers and cargo…thanks I was also considering the Altis since it's almost the same price range with the 1.5G if not for the reasoning…" would I still opt to buy the Altis although it's an outgoing model..don't know if it's due for a facelift and if it's coming to our country soon early next year..or not?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjoseph View Post
    IMO, buy the 1.3L now, later on, in two to three years, you'll need a second car, an SUV, dahil matututo na din drive ang mga anak mo, kaya may gagamitin na kayo for long trips with full loads, ang 1.3L, for short trips and city use na lang.
    Your right, eto talaga dilemma ko why I'm torn between the 1.3L and 1.5L

Currently, I need the power of the 1.5L because there will always be times na full load kme with baggages specially during the weekends…at the same time thinking that soon, my boys specially my eldest who is a graduating senior in High school will soon want to learn how to drive and might eventually be the one to use it in 5-6 years time and we might end up buying an SUV which is supposed to be our first choice…kung kaya lang talaga nang budget naming now..

The 1.3L came up as an alternative since most of the time city driving and much cheaper in terms of the price..although naiisip ko n bka underpowered pagdating sa hatakan lalo na sa mga akyatan..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With a manual transmission, the 1.3L will still meet your needs and is a good option if you're buying a larger car later on. I have a close buddy who uses a 1.3 Vios and City around the city and take it occasionally to Baguio and Bicol with a full load. Kaya kung sa kaya but of course FC suffers (in our last Baguio trip, my 1.6L m/t Altis got a better FC going up versus the City) but is not a deal breaker. If you're going automatic and that's your primary car, perhaps it would be better to consider the a 1.5L versions.

If you have a large or growing family and cannot afford a big car just yet, you may also want to consider the Altis. Yes it's due for a change soon (early next year i think) but in the end, it's still a bigger car that will age quite well. To give you an idea on the FC, i average around 9.5 to 10.5km/L in the city and 11-14km/L on the highway; this is using heavier 17" rims as well

9. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys sa lahat ng mga valuable infos..still the preferences in this thread seems to be a tie up between the 2 ..

Here's more of the things

* most of the time it will be used with 5 people on board with a mild to moderate baggages on the trunk.
    * between the vios 1.3L & 1.5L engine , which is more likely to be more durable, reliable on a long term basis..yung tipong tatagal samin up to the point na ok padin gamitin ng mga anak ko when their time comes..
    * If ever I opted to get a 1.5L which do you think is more practical to get FC wise and maintenance wise..a manual or an automatic? (I noticed kase na most of the 1.3L engines of any car model are mostly mated with a manual while 1.5L engines and above are most of the time mated only with an automatic for example mazda3 and honda city)
    * again if ever I opted to take the vios 1.5L..hindi ba mahirap i maintain yung interior nya since beige is the only color for the interior..it seems we're more inclined to take the 1.5L para at least no regret in the future..di lang talaga kame sure if it is the right choice for us given those scenarios that I have shared in this thread..

sensya na guys ha..its really hard to decide lang talaga..we are just trying to find a vios car that can last a longer time with our family without us thinking na ibenta siya in the future dahil sa makunsumo pla sya sa fuel than the other one or madalas magka engine trouble or other issues..and it seems the vios was a unanimous choice of the family given its reliability, cheaper price, and the newly re designed look.. still in the end we are the ones to make the choice..just wanna have more inputs pa sana from anybody here so that we may still weigh our options pa muna..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    With heavy loads and fuel economy being the primary concern.

I'd get the 1.5 MT. It won't be as stressed as the 1.3 4AT since you have that extra oomph at the 1st-2nd gear for stop-and-go traffic.

as for cost of ownership its almost the same.

as for interior maintenance you can always opt for seat covers or seat pillows.

**we owned a vios 1.3 AT and 1.5AT(more fuel efficient)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast