New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Is it possible to install simple engine mods on the Innova with the 1TR-FE 2.0L gas engine? I've heard of free-flow air filters, but nothing else. Also, if I ever install a free-flow air filter, is the performance gain easily noticeable?

I've done 180km/h flat-out (designed speed is 185km/h), smoked a 3.0 Fort, but it took a very long time to reach that speed. I'm aiming for better acceleration. Will the air filter do the trick?

What other engine mods have been already done on the 1TR-FE?

Hoping for your replies.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    change for better oils and get a better kind of spark plugs ... air filter will just increase your throttle but not the burn

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    That's a thought! As of now it's filled with Mobil 1 fully synthetic (10w30 I think). Are there other spark plugs out there with the same size as the stock Denso's? It's longer and has a smaller diameter compared to "standard" spark plugs.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No plug will be better than stock, unless there's a redesigned plug specifically for your engine.

It's all in the tip design, as the stock plugs have the proper length and height to put the spark in the center of the combustion chamber. If you can find the platinum version of your stock plugs, that'll last longer, but performance gains will be negligible.

Exhaust modifications should do wonders for a gasoline engine. Beyond that, if you like driving quickly a lot, you should look at getting better tires (preferably on wider (not necessarily taller) mags).

All other power modifications cost money. Fuel management, turbocharging, etcetera.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    bro rims nalang tpos keep it stock but always in tip top condition, tignan mo ako bago palng car ko tpos kung anu na ginawa ko napasubo na ko kaya no choice kelangan matapos ng maayos,.. sakit na ng ulo ko kakaisip kung anu ba maganda.. huhuhu...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    roberto, i hope u r still here. I used k & n filter and 205/55 r16 tires only. the difference is very noticeable.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    *amil
    Re: K&N filter sir how long nyo na ginagamit? na inspect nyo na po MAF sensor nyo na co-contaminate ba nito talaga ng oil ng K&N? yan kasi nababasa ko nega about K&N filter, curious lang po kung totoo.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Exhaust modifications should do wonders for a gasoline engine.
    And then a higher-flow air filter would also make some more sense than just throw it away...

But I would still not to disconsider a turbocharger with an intercooler (or maybe a JWAC).

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by amil101578 View Post
    roberto, i hope u r still here. I used k & n filter and 205/55 r16 tires only. the difference is very noticeable.
    I kinda lurk a lot nowadays . We kinda lost interest in getting a K&N filter, coz we don't use the car really often anyway. I got a knock-off OEM replacement air filter for really cheap a few months ago, and it's still good. No effect on the performance. I would've bought a K&N drop-in while I was in the US, but dad wasn't interested so I passed up.

And if anyone's interested in making the TR series go really fast, you might wanna check out these links:

Atomic's Tacoma Turbo system

2.7 vvti alpine developements supercharger - Tacoma World Forums

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by amil101578 View Post
    Isn't 205/55R16 too small in terms of overall diameter? This may account for why the car may feel faster...

Mods for the Innova 2.0 Gas M/T