New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Aside from being semi-synth ..

Is Mobil 10w40 better than Vtec Lev 10w30 in our hot climate ??? specially in heavy traffic ??

They say a 40 weight oil in better in our hot climate but why does Honda Casa's use a 10w30 mineral oil even in their brand new cars ???
    What is the maximum temp of a 10w30 oil able to handle without damaging the engine ??

How much better is a semi synthetic compared to a mineral ??

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    just open your manual which btw is localized. they print a different manual for different countries. unless it's not in which case you'll see some fine print when operating in super hot middle eastern countries

then just follow the recommended viscosity. it's that simple unless you're racing, towing, etc

modern engines may have sensors, oil passage ways, etc. that expect a specific viscosity. and may won't work correctly w/ wrong viscosity

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    kahit anong ambient temperatures... engines operate at "around" 88C.

now at 100c there you get different viscosities for oil.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Actually, stock engines operate at around 95-105C. Things like climbing up long and steep inclines or continuous high-RPM runs and carrying heavy loads will usually bump it up a little more.

88C is just around where the thermostat valve begins to open.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Actually, stock engines operate at around 95-105C. Things like climbing up long and steep inclines or continuous high-RPM runs and carrying heavy loads will usually bump it up a little more.

88C is just around where the thermostat valve begins to open.
    So anong maganda for all around driving sir (city, traffic, highway) ??

10w30 or 10w40 ??

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post

10w30 or 10w40 ??
    I use Honda VTEC LEV 10W30 on my Civic. City driving, mountain driving, highway driving, top speed runs, it feels fine.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

10w30 or 10w40 ??
    Just follow what the manual recommends. There's no need to overthink unless you're doing anything extreme with your vehicle.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Just follow what the manual recommends. There's no need to overthink unless you're doing anything extreme with your vehicle.
    That's my main problem cause I bought my Corolla GLi 1.6 4afe second hand and there's no owner's manual. I tried to search the internet but the recommendations are for foreign countries like the USA, recommended 5w30 and 10w30 ..

I know that Toyota might have change or altered the manuals for the Corollas made for the Philippines to suit our climate ..

I wanted to know if should I used 10w30 or 10w40 ..

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That's my main problem cause I bought my Corolla GLi 1.6 4afe second hand and there's no owner's manual. I tried to search the internet but the recommendations are for foreign countries like the USA, recommended 5w30 and 10w30 ..

I know that Toyota might have change or altered the manuals for the Corollas made for the Philippines to suit our climate ..

I wanted to know if should I used 10w30 or 10w40 ..
    Old thread, but this particular post might help: correct motor oil for my corolla

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009

10w30 or 10w40 ??
    When your engine is not combusting fuel the engine temperature is close to the ambient temperature. Try putting a thermometer above the hood and under the hood

When your engine begins to combust fuel then it gets way hotter than the ambient temperature. Additionally, internally moving parts of the engine generates heat thru friction. So a running engine has two heat sources: a combusting fuel, metal friction

Too much heat isnt good for an engine because metals could melt under extreme condition. Thats why the engine is cooled in two manner. Engine coolant takes care of the combustion heat while engine oil deals with engine entrails friction

An oil rated with a lower number is regarded as less sticky. A good property of an oil that produce less heat. So a less sticky oil deals with friction much better than a thick oil thats why honda adopted it

As long as an engine is running whether in the city or a highway it absorbs heat. Theres just a more pronounced heat stress on an engine if you run it for a long duration at high rpm which is technically highway condition.

There are 2 reasons why 40 is better than 30. First and foremost because the sellers have stock piled so much of it then wont rake in the profit should consumers opt to bypass it. Lastly, your engine leaks oil profusely where in a thin oil wont stay long inside your engine

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; September 14th, 2017 at 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast