New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    hello po. wasn't sure if this post should be in the SUV section or workshop. pakimove na lang po if necessary.

my sister owns a kia sportage gen 1 (2.0 gas, matic), and i've read in some of the forums that they were able to change the engine to a mazda engine (some say mazda diesel). ngayon po kasi, sobra na talaga lakas sa gas (<5 km/l). i suggested either having the engine overhauled or change the engine, preferably to a diesel one. eh sakto namang possible pala yun with a mazda diesel engine. she prefers to still retain the matic tranny though. ayaw magmanual e. heheheh.

some questions po:

- do you guys think this is a good idea for my sister to save on gas?
    - is the mazda engine a better engine, and if so, in what way?
    - how much of a difference kaya compared sa current fuel consumption nya? substantial po ba kaya, considering na she wants to stay with matic tranny? is 8 km/l consumption doable or am i just dreaming? hehehheh..
    - lastly, mga magkano po kaya aabutin, all-in?

sensya na po kung dami ko tanong. pareho po kc kami la mashado alam sa kotse e. thanks po!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung mag transplant ka mas ok if you install the engine and the tranny that goes with it provided it matches with your rear differential. if you opt to change your rear diff to match your tranny you have to change your front diff too to match your rear as it is a 4wd rig. gulo ba? better to buy a vitara auto4. my two cent.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    +1 on this. Better to exchange it for another secondhand car with a diesel.

For a like-to-like swap, though, between a gas and a diesel SUV of the same size, you'll be out quite a bit of money on the trade-in (better if you sell the Sportage and buy afterwards... but you'll stiill lose some money)... but at least you won't have to put up with the small (yet never-ending) problems and issues that you get when you swap engines.

Basically, you only swap engines for performance... not economy. There's just no way in heck that your sister will save enough money in fuel to pay for the swap. A swap which could cost faaaaar north of 50,000 pesos, considering the cost of secondhand diesels, and the fact that you will need to fix little things here and there... since it's a secondhand engine, after all, and it'll need some work to get to optimum condition.

LPG nalang siya. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    ganun po ba? complicated pala. tska mahal din. we thought about lpg pero mahal din considering yun driving patterns nya e. cge po, ill discuss it with her na lang. thanks for all the input!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    just my two cents, I have no idea what sportage gen 1 is, but Cebu is the surplus sportage gateway. and I believe most cebu source sportage uses Mazda 2.2 diesel. try to contact someone there. mas mura doon kasi hindi gaanong legal ang import nila. assuming you don't have any problems with swapping engine.

sa gear magkakaproblem--di magmamatch...kung titignan mo, parang mas mura kung papalit makina ka, palit gears, labor...kasi maliliit na figures makikita mo...pero pag sumahin mo nagastos, pagod mo, bumili ka nalang ng diesel/masmatipid na na sasakyan....

benta mo ang sportage, dagdag mo pinagbentahan, the un, worry free ka pa..

unless, just like me, di ko na mabenta maxima ko! lugi pa ako sa gastos ng maintenance(maintenance ha, not mods/restoration) vs sa market price na ng sasakyan...and may senti value,e...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    btw, you can get a surplus diesel Sportage 4X4 for as low as 180T. a few times even 160T sa Cebu.

mazda diesel engine on a kia sportage gen 1?