New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i saw an ad about this performance oil filter that has a magnet inside; it's supposed to attract filings and stuff to prevent them from going back into circulation. pretty expensive though, around 1.6k per filter. not sure if it's the reusable type though

your thoughts?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I read about that a long time ago. Can't recall if it works or not. Why not make your own? Stick a few magnets on the outside of your oil filter and secure tham in place with duct tape. Cut open the filter on your next oil change to see if it works.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    my thoughts exactly B) ok na kaya ung ref magnet?

yun lang nga, you'd have to break the thing apart to see kung nagstistick nga ung filings

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    there are cheaper alternatives to that. the best will be a magnetic oil drain plug. you replace the oem oil drain plug with a magnetic one, and everytime you have an oil change you can just clean the magnet. don't know where you can get it but it is standard on a lot of marine diesel engines. so sa mga industrial engine suppliers siguro. check the yellow pages.

or, cheaper yet, remove the oil drain plug from the engine oil pan, drill a small hole halfway, tap it, then bolt a magnet into the plug. make sure you put thread lock on the bolt threads so the bolt does not get loose, super glue will do if you don't have any. you can buy magnets that have holes in them, even alnico ones, from industrial or electronics stores. pag wala, sirain mo yung pinakamaliit na speaker na hindi mo na ginagamit then drill a hole through it. that old computer speakers in the garage will do. recycle!

di effective ang ref magnets, mahina yun.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    my thoughts exactly B) ok na kaya ung ref magnet?

yun lang nga, you'd have to break the thing apart to see kung nagstistick nga ung filings
    Ref magnet may not be powerful enough considering that they're used to sticking themselves to the ref (very light sila) rather than pulling something from the oil.

A magnetic drain plug should work too, some can be bought for a marked up price (SuperAutoBacs here in southern CA has a lot of them).

Some cars have oil filters that go inside a canister, so in this case a magnetic oil plug works best. Most Jap cars have the external oil filter so a magnetic strip around the filter should work perfectly in tandem with the magnetic oil drain plug.

If anybody has an oil catch can (tuners will know this), this is another possible place to put the magnet.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003

pwede rin kaya na idikit mo ung drain plug sa malaking magnet for a few days? in my old job, we got hold of a very strong magnet after kinalas namin ung PDP-11 ng kumpanya...we stuck a few screwdrivers there para ma magnetize. too bad hindi ko nakupit ung magnet B)

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    sard oil filters have the magnet.

"magnetic" oil filters