New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    A few years ago, i got this bright idea about tweaking the idling rpm on an '89 Corolla XL(1.3L, EE90); i never got around to adjusting it back to the original level.

Flash forward to today, and i noticed that my ride would idle at a very low level, followed by the engine stalling. What's strange is that the problem seems to get worse as i drive longer. Just this morning it stalled 3-4 times. i immediately made adjustments when i got to park, and my idling sits at 950-1000rpm.

So far the stalling problem seems to have been fixed, but i'm just curious as to why the problem came out just now. Is there anything else i should check out?

Turning on the AC engages that thingy(sorry, can't remember what it's called) that pulls the rpm up, but when it disengages it drops to the low rpms i mentioned.

tia

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe you're just due for a tune-up and timing adjustment? Cleaned the carburator lately? Unlike EFI cars where there are sensors that compensate for changes to the engine's state and various conditions, carburetors will need constant checking/adjustment over time.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    mukhang may problema ang carb mo sir. pa check mo ang butterfly nyan. idle up mechanism yong sinasabi mong tataas ang menor pag engaged ang A/C.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    kalas throttle and clean. parang may nagbara na grease dirt.